Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-22-2022, 01:06 AM
Senior Chief

For me to get my car to pass inspection I cut up the flowmaster system and removed the H pipe piece and welded in a pair of bullet mufflers. That brought the noise level down but for this topic it also removed almost all the drone. I have a pair of aerochamber mufflers on the car and they drone a lot (on my car).

What I am planning to do, as the car is too quiet for my liking with the bullets, is installing flex couplers (like these https://www.ebay.com/itm/143213752138) after the headers and using the original style hangers like FormulaJones suggests.

Hopefully the flex pieces and the hangers will keep the drone down (and give me my sound back)

Old 07-25-2022, 06:27 PM

The drone is there with the top up or down. Although with the top down there is a lot of other noise to keep me occupied.

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 07-25-2022, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Goat View Post
I purchased the Pypes H 2.5 in system in 2004 which came with Dynomax Turbo mufflers hooked up to RAIII manifolds. System sounds great above 3000 rpm but when I am just cruising between 1500 and 2500 rpm the sound is awful.
Is this just the way it is and if so are there any good choices to replace these for a quieter sound?
I have a 462 in my '64 GTO Convertible with a 2.5" X pipe system and the long Dynomax Turbo mufflers. Absolutely no drone whatsoever in 9 years of driving it this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	594966   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	594967  

Old 07-27-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I have a 462 in my '64 GTO Convertible with a 2.5" X pipe system and the long Dynomax Turbo mufflers. Absolutely no drone whatsoever in 9 years of driving it this way.
Can confirm. have same setup on my 66 convertible, no drone whatsoever.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

Default drone

Is there any relationship between cam duration and/or LSA and drone? Billk

Old 07-27-2022, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat-bill View Post
Is there any relationship between cam duration and/or LSA and drone? Billk

That's an excellent point. In addition to the exhaust itself, the timing of the pulses and volume of exhaust flow relative to engine speed play a role. Therefore exhaust closing point and overlap need to be considered.

It'd be interesting to hear people's experience with trying different camshaft layouts and whether they noticed a difference in drone without any change to the exhaust system.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:51 PM

Epilogue on this thread.
I replaced the Dynomax muffler with Pypes Turbo mufflers and 90% of the annoying resonance is gone. I still get a little at a very specific RPM but all in all I am happy with the result.
Thanks to all those smart and experienced people who commented.

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifetime Goat For This Useful Post: