Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any updates for a good rear seat speaker in a convertible?

Took the convertible out yesterday and today and with the speakers under the top boot it's not worth having rear speakers. Any new/novel ways for rear seat speaker placement that works good?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

Years ago, my 67 was a give away car by an Asheviille radio station, Fox21, Pepsi, and a car stereo business. There are speakers mounted inside the back seat, out of sight that were put in prior to the give away. I would have to take the seat out to get to them. Sounds great going down the road with the top down.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stuck a pair of 6x9s in enclosures and laid them on the rear floor pan in front of the seat. I can unhook them and hide the wires if I want to show the car.
They are temporary as I am figuring out what size and how to put them in the top well on either side of the seat. I don't want to cut them into the side panels but I think I can get a 5x7 at an angle right in front of the rear wheel well area. The top mechanism wouldn't hit them but, i don't know how they would sound with the top down.
As for the fronts, I put a set of 4x6s under each seat facing forward. I built the enclosures for them and they are a tight fit. I would like to mount them under the dash but they would have to point down so I'm not sure about how they would sound either.
I wish Bose made a set of the cube speakers and base module that would work with a car radio. That would simplify the installation as the cubes are small enough to mount just about anywhere and still be out of sight.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue67gtoragtop View Post
Years ago, my 67 was a give away car by an Asheviille radio station, Fox21, Pepsi, and a car stereo business. There are speakers mounted inside the back seat, out of sight that were put in prior to the give away. I would have to take the seat out to get to them. Sounds great going down the road with the top down.
Are you saying that the speakers are in the seat?

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue67gtoragtop View Post
Are they under the seat bottom or behind the seat back? I am very interested in what size they are and how/where they are mounted.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gut the ash trays and place small speakers under there- close the ash tray covers when it is time to go to a show.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will the undercover II fit und the front seat?

Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 PM

Heres the link to my solution:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=754776

I used aftermarket kick panels (kept the originals) to mount 6.5" Rockfords, 6x9's in boxes behind the back seat, and a 12" dual-voicecoil sub (not pictured) mounted to a false wall in the trunk. Speakers are powered by a 4-channel Alpine amp, and the sub is powered by a Rockford mono amp. A 1-farad capacitor and all the 4 gauge wiring is hidden on the back side of the false wall. To be honest, it sounds awesome top up or down. A Retrosound Model 2 radio replaced the original 2-knob radio without cutting. Now I have crystal clear, modern sound (HD, Bluetooth, etc) with out sacrificing the original look. (I was a pro audio installer all through college, but none of it was very difficult at all).

The only thing I ended up sacrificing in the end was to use Dynamite Ultra Lite on the trunk lid to keep vibration down when cruising with the music up. I just cannot abide a rattling trunk lid!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions...

1966 LeMans Convertible
Red Ext/Parchment Int/White Top
Old 07-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Senior Chief

I tried all kinds of rear speaker arrangements in my '67 convertible, along with amps etc; and eventually I removed all that and bought a good quality---but small-- Bluetooth speaker and paired it with a tablet that has about 1000 old tunes stored on it. The black speaker sits on the back seat, blends in pretty well, and the tablet slides under the front seat and the track/volume controls are operated from a little wireless remote. Works great even with the top down and it cost only about $100 for the speaker/remote. You can use your phone as a music source if you don't have a tablet. The factory idea of mounting a speaker in a cardboard enclosure behind the back seat didn't work too well, you can't hear a thing with the top down and the top's plastic window scrapes on the enclosure as it goes up or down. I still have my original AM/FM installed and it's nice to see it there but it's not much use for music once you're in motion..

Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

My speakers are inside the seat back. There is nothing under the bottom seat cushion. I have not had the back part of the seat out, but bases on sound, they are up high, just above the metal support of the top well behind the seat back. I can try to do a more extensive check next week if needed

Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

PM sent

Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After doing a little more investigation I'm thinking of building a very small enclosure and mounting 2 of these in each enclosure and placing under the buckets facing rearward to bounce the sound off the front of the rear seat bottom cushion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007L8BTE/...IH55E29Z&psc=1

Old 07-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
After doing a little more investigation I'm thinking of building a very small enclosure and mounting 2 of these in each enclosure and placing under the buckets facing rearward to bounce the sound off the front of the rear seat bottom cushion.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007L8BTE/...IH55E29Z&psc=1
I put a set of 4x6s under my front seat firing forward. I may turn them around and see what that does. The enclosures are barely taller than the 4" measurement because the space below the seat is about 4.5"s.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at a car show this weekend and saw a convertible with a drive in theater speaker hooked up to its radio. I just picked up a pair this spring. Might try it.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to try something in my car that may work. I just took a Bose AM6 speaker system out of my house and re[laced it with the Bose Solo 10. While the base module is a powered one and I can't use it I think I can use the satellite speaker cubes. They are 4ohm and my car radio is also 4ohm. I may still have to add a sub-woofer but that would be a small price to pay if the cubes will work. They are small enough to go just about anywhere in the car.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pictures of the speakers. I hooked them up and they sound pretty good but I will need a sub-woofer for some bass. I just laid them on the front floor and in the back seat because I want to make the cruise in tonight. I think the front ones will mount right under the corner of the dash. I haven't decided where I want the back ones but I might work on them some tomorrow.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pictures of the speakers. I hooked them up and they sound pretty good but I will need a sub-woofer for some bass. I think the front cubes will mount nicely under the corners of the dash. I haven't decided where to install the rears but for now they are in the corner of the back seat. The fronts are on the floor next to the kick panels.
I want to go to the cruise in tonight so I don't have time to really install them. I'll have to fabricate some brackets for the front and possibly the rear depending on their placement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bose 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	404716   Click image for larger version

Name:	bose 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	404717  

Old 07-27-2022, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that I found the solution to my problem. They aren't earth shakers but should do me fine. They are 4" speakers are mounted on the outside of the panel. I made sure that they cleared the top mechanism after careful fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	595031  

Old 07-27-2022, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally gave up and pulled the Bose cubes out. I would rather listen to the sound of the motor anyway.