Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2022, 10:44 AM

Default 1968 firebird convertible 400 exhaust including tips

Hi,

The exhaust the PO put on my 68 firebird is horrid, looking to put in a TKX this winter so I might as well replace the exhaust.

I have a pypes x-pipe system with the long dynomax turbo 17749 mufflers on my 66 lemans and I love the sound (been on for 20 years).

Would really like something similar on my 68 firebird with long branch manifolds. I am leaning towards a an 2.5" x-pipe system with transverse muffler. (I realize I will have to modify the convertible brace).

Part of me just thinks I should get the pypes SGF70 x-pipe exhaust and their race pro muffler and be done with it.

But since I really like the dynomax's on my lemans I was wondering if the dynomax 17553 crossover muffler with some generic x-pipe system would be a better fit for me, someone showed me a generic Jegs exhaust system (289-89021) but it wasn't an x-pipe. People have any opinions on the race-pro versus the dynomax?

Finally, I know it's not factory, but I love splitters. I think the repro ones from ames won't work because of the 2.5" exhaust, Has anyone fit the pypes 2.5" (EVT10) exhaust splitters for the 76+ TA onto their first gen?

Appreciate the input!