Old 07-31-2022, 11:44 AM

Default Harrisburg 1967 GTO Ram Air Sale

Yesterday at the Mecum Harrisburg auction a red 1967 GTO HO Ram Air sold for $110,000. It was a red convertible with 4 speed.

My question is about the interior trim. The exterior red paint was carried over to the interior upper metal door trim and the interior metal A-pillar as well as the metal instrument panel. The kick panels were also red. The instrument panel crash pad was black and the carpets were black. The seats and door panel inserts were parchment. My question is: is this a correct factory color combination? The red and black mixed together with the parchment interior seemed different than what I have seen. Any thoughts?

Old 07-31-2022, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car, but those red door tops and dash would drive me up the wall.
Unless there's some documentation to say that it was ordered that way. I've always liked the look of the parchment interior. The ivory door tops and black dash/carpet is what made it look good.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

That would be a Swing & a Miss!

I understand Freedom of Expression, but not for that price.

I'll add this to my "What the H*ll were they Thinking" file
It will be in good company

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WTFWYT 2.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	595478   Click image for larger version

Name:	WTFWYT.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	595479  

Old 08-01-2022, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Totally wrong including the black window cranks.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Certainly not my cup of tea. Having so many different colors looks more akin to what interiors looked like in the '50s. Seems out of place in a late-60s car, because it is.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pershing View Post
Any thoughts?
Yeah. I've got several.

Carrying the red into the interior was AWFUL, and it wasn't even done right. The glovebox door has a different sheen. Seatbelts are wrong. It has power brakes, where's the stainless trim on the pedals? And the master cylinder doesn't have bleeders. Which isn't surprising, seeing as how it has a clutch fan/spacer, LOL. Pairs well with the finger guard/shroud combo I suppose. Sigh. Engine was assembled with ARP hardware. Alternator is wrong. It has two LH motor mounts. Trunk needs spatter paint, power antenna is aftermarket.

They didn't even install the door lock knobs right.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cars like this always bring me back to the idea that a car is worth whatever someone will pay for it. That said, I cannot believe someone paid $110k for this car. In addition to the points raised above, the hood & header panel fitment is also rather poor. If you're paying six figures for a GTO, it had better be special and/or perfect.

Also, can someone explain to me what a "Stage 1" ram air is? I'm familiar with ram air in general, but I didn't know that Pontiac used any sort of "Stage" nomenclature. Thought that was a Buick thing.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 08-02-2022, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No such thing as a 'Stage One' ram air. (Kind of like those '400-4 air cleaner stickers....a Buick thing). X2 on the front end sheet metal alignment, interior, etc. Also noticed that the fan clutch is running on a spacer, which is a no-no, putting the fan (which looks like a '65 notched fan) too far into the shroud, and overloading the water pump bearing. Looks like a 60-70k car all day long to me.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:26 AM

Wow, and I thought just the interior color combo was odd looking.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:33 AM

Saw a 67 Lemans with a white dash pad on youtube the other day too. Some things are just not oaky. LOL

Old 08-21-2022, 03:27 PM
Senior Chief

Probably been said before but I sincerely believe these prices reflect what I call Boomer Money. A lot of folks are retiring or have in the last couple of years and some have fat 401ks. My theory is these folks always wanted a musclecar or had one but had to get rid of it when career and family choices came along. Now they are flush with cash and little "education" on what is correct or not. They are jumping in like teenagers at a pool party!

Old 08-21-2022, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed. I've known some fairly affluent people with poor taste. But they were happy, so what the heck.