Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 GTO Glove Box Screws

Just wanted to point out that the glove box screw set, PN A353AK for a 1968 GTO are the incorrect size. Considerably too small. Not sure whether you pack them yourselves or get them prepackaged from AMK etc.

See photos below. AMES part on the Left, Originals on the right. As you can see, when they are in place the head is almost small enough to fit through the mounting hole, and the threads will thread into your replacement glove box, they are too small and will strip out the metal inserts in the box.

Just a heads up that you might want to pull that product unless this was a one off situation. Happy with my glove box though, very sturdy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxScrews-1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	579378   Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxScrews-2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	579379   Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxScrews-3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	579380   Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxScrews-4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	579381   Click image for larger version

Name:	GloveBoxScrews-5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	579382  

Old 12-14-2021, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a box of 100 screws on my own, from a hardware store: perfect match in size and finish. Welll i will repost if the part number is avail ( i might have tossed the cardboard box).

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Just wanted to point out that the glove box screw set, PN A353AK for a 1968 GTO are the incorrect size. Considerably too small. Not sure whether you pack them yourselves or get them prepackaged from AMK etc.

See photos below. AMES part on the Left, Originals on the right. As you can see, when they are in place the head is almost small enough to fit through the mounting hole, and the threads will thread into your replacement glove box, they are too small and will strip out the metal inserts in the box.

Just a heads up that you might want to pull that product unless this was a one off situation. Happy with my glove box though, very sturdy.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I'll check our current stock along with some originals that I have available. We'll post the results.