Old 03-20-2022, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll give you first shot at it once l feel comfortable that I won't need it. Being an intermittent problem though it could be a while...plus, now that I know the repops don't work l may become a bit more attached to it!

I actually have a nice one that the bezel threads are very slightly buggered up on. I don't have a die anywhere near that size...if you think you can do anything with it, it's yours.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I may break down and just get new matching lock cylinders for the ignition and doors ... my old key is dang near worn out anyway.

I may be going overboard with my attachment to the original keys Well actually, they are not even the originals, they are copies of the originals done 40+ years ago.

Old 03-21-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered a matched set of ignition and door lock cylinders from Ames. I give it a 50/50 chance it will work with my repop switch ... or work at all

I have a feeling a ton of stuff listed as 68-72 is actually 69-72. The change over to the column ignition in 69 is probably why most repop switches won't work with 68 cylinders. All the repops switches are probably made to fit the 69 and later column type cylinders even though the 68 switch is obviously not going to fit into a 69 column.

Jeez, us 68 guys have a hard row to hoe. Between being basically a one year model, new model type, and all the mid year changes the repop companies have no idea what they should actually make to fit a 68.

Old 03-21-2022, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, the '68 is the redheaded stepchild of GTOs.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had a spare bezel nut I think I could make a decent die out of it. The switch metal is pretty soft. I can get the nut started but after about a half a turn it stops. I have an NOS nut for a 66 but I don't want to file any notches in it.

Old 03-22-2022, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Luckily the repop switch I bought seems to have excellent threads, bezel pretty much fits it better than the OEM switch.

I've got some large dies, but nothing that fine of a pitch. I see McMaster has a 1"-32 for $87 dollars I'm guessing that's about what size they are.

I agree ... I bet a bezel would cut threads in a switch easy enough, specially since you'd just be chasing them.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I couldn't resist and tried it. Cut three small notches in the bezel threads just at the very leading edge and that, along with a little lapping compound, worked. The threads really seemed more super tight than damaged once I straighten out the very leading edge of the thread. The fine lapping compound loosened it up and it spins right on now.
It really appears to be in good shape although I have not tested it electrically. If you're still interested in it I'll give you the dataway price on it seeing as how I scooped you on the other...lol
It has a small chip on the bakelite which shows in the picture but it shouldn't have any effect at all on the switch. I would have used it years ago if I'd have known that I could fix it that way.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2022, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And you can probably still use the bezel.

Appreciate the offer, but for now I'll have to see if all the crap I have coming will work

You are now my back-up, back-up plan.

Old 03-22-2022, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Alright, so it's yours if you decide to try it. By the way, you can try it out first if you like before you make a decision.
As for the bezel nut, that's why I decided to try filing the notches in the bezel.. It still works just like it did before and the notches aren't visible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2022, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, let me know now much you want for your spare ... spare switch

I've got the repop cylinder and lock working, meh .. OK I guess, doesn't feel as smooth as OEM but then the OEM is well used and sloppy.

I should probably pull the trigger on yours now while I have the chance. I just don't want to end up with a mix and match of repop and OEM on this car if I can avoid it cause that will be really confusing 15 years down the road when I can't remember my own name.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Originals are getting hard to find. l will pm you with an offer you can't refuse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 07:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcrank View Post
Just checked that new switch I bought. And yes my original lock cylinder fits in it and functions perfectly
Question for you.......... I need to replace my ignition switch too. It still works, but sticks. Anyway, you mentioned that yours worked fine with the original tumbler while quite a few other folks found them to be incompatible. Any idea why yours works? Just wondering if maybe you already had a repop tumbler so they mated up, or maybe you just got lucky and got the rare one that was machined correctly.

Old Joe

P.S. Is Northern Wisconsin getting primed for football? The media here in Green Bay is hyping up things early this year.

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon