Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-05-2022, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rebuilding 455

Well, job creep went from replacing my cam and carburetor to pulling the 455 , disassembling and sending to machine shop. They will clean, deck, bore to 30 over,align hone , resize crank( 2 bolt) and balance, recondition rods, new cam bearings, new pistons, rings and bearings in about a month.
So here is my question. Since I want to keep the cost manageable and don't need to create a high horsepower/ high torque monster, should I pay more for forged rather than cast pistons? Also, since it is a 2 bolt main, should I keep the original mains or go with the 4 bolt main center caps? In addition, the torque converter in the car is a 2200 stall unit. Is that sufficient for this size engine?
The rest of the engine will stay with:
Edelbrock round port heads
Edelbrock Performer or RPM intake( I have both)
Newly rebuilt Cliff Quadrajet
041 cam
Scorpion 1.5 rockers
RAIV high flow factory type headers

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited by West Coast GTO; 03-05-2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-05-2022, 04:58 PM

Forged pistons for sure.

Keep the 2-bolt mains, they’re fine for up to 600 hp.

I wouldn’t spend money reconditioning stock cast rods, there’s plenty of affordable new forged rods out there. This is money well spent, spend it here rather than on converting the bottom end to four bolt caps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 05:34 PM

Same opinion as above. Keep 2 bolt mains, get inexpensive forged rods and forged pistons, and upgrade to 1.65 rockers for a really good understressed street combination that will last a long time. Depending on weight and gearing 2200rpm stall might be too low.

The Following User Says Thank You to 62posbonny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2 to what B-man & 62posbonny are saying, plus go with the Performer RPM intake with those alum. heads.

Dennis

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD455DJ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since your going to get custom pistons ASK if it REALLY needs to go 30 over or will 10-15 clean it up!So many times shops just go the EZ route and go 30-60 etc.Tom

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2022, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I saw the head machinist check the bores when I dropped off the block. I was hoping for a simple hone but nope. Also, when disassembling the engine, there were quite a few stupid mistakes made by whoever worked on the engine last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Since your going to get custom pistons ASK if it REALLY needs to go 30 over or will 10-15 clean it up!So many times shops just go the EZ route and go 30-60 etc.Tom

Old 03-05-2022, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just dont like boring a 455 block anymore than actually needed!History shows they are thin blocks.Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 02:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The ridge was .010 difference to the main bores with slight measurable variations( taper) between each cylinder. Each cylinder wall was glassy/ polished with no discernible cross hatch pattern( on an engine that was supposedly rebuilt 300 miles before I bought the car. The heads and piston tops showed a build up of carbon and oil. The cast pistons had slight scuffing at skirt areas and ,025 gap at top ring. The aluminum heads had to be removed with a 1/2" breaker bar with a 3' tube extension( I would guess over 200 ft/lbs but my torque wrench only goes up to 150) and I actually broke/ cracked two short 9/16 sockets. Between the debris and loose pieces of blue RTV sealant, it was a wonder there was any oil pressure. Surprisingly, the crank spun as smooth as silk with the pistons/ rods removed.
I have rebuilt Chevy small and big block engines with .030 and .060 overbores but this is my first Pontiac rebuild. I want to get it right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine cylinder.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	585459   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine oil pump.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	585460  

Old 03-06-2022, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are probably 100 different definitions for what a "rebuilt, remanufactured, or refurbished" engine is. I can't imagine any scenario that would indicate any of those words could be used in a legal sense on that engine. Just from 2 pictures, I see nothing that indicates the engine had any lower end attention. It takes tens of thousands of miles to create a ring ridge and create a wall glaze like that. Even if it was just ball honed, the hone pattern would be there at 300 miles. Anyway back to your question. I don't see any reason for 4-bolt caps from the built you describe. I will however break with the other posts indicating you need new connecting rods. IMO, it depends on the quality of the machine shop. A 455, running at 5200 RPM or less, won't hurt stock connecting rods that are round, straight and the right size with new hardware. Cheap, Chinese aftermarket rods, however will certainly need to be carefully measured, inspected and 1 or 2 will probably have to be rebuilt prior to use. So it's kind of a toss up IMO concerning the rods. Good luck with it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with your evaluation on the ring ridge and glaze as well as any "rebuilt" lower end condition. Since it is apart, I now want a strong, dependable engine al the lowest cost. It appears to be a consensus that the 2 bolt bottom end is good for my needs so I will upgrade to forged pistons and rods and have the machinist check bore tolerances again before he over bores
. Thank you to all that have posted here, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There are probably 100 different definitions for what a "rebuilt, remanufactured, or refurbished" engine is. I can't imagine any scenario that would indicate any of those words could be used in a legal sense on that engine. Just from 2 pictures, I see nothing that indicates the engine had any lower end attention. It takes tens of thousands of miles to create a ring ridge and create a wall glaze like that. Even if it was just ball honed, the hone pattern would be there at 300 miles. Anyway back to your question. I don't see any reason for 4-bolt caps from the built you describe. I will however break with the other posts indicating you need new connecting rods. IMO, it depends on the quality of the machine shop. A 455, running at 5200 RPM or less, won't hurt stock connecting rods that are round, straight and the right size with new hardware. Cheap, Chinese aftermarket rods, however will certainly need to be carefully measured, inspected and 1 or 2 will probably have to be rebuilt prior to use. So it's kind of a toss up IMO concerning the rods. Good luck with it.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Use ARP bolts throughout the engine. You will be fine.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JMO,no reason to change bolts on that engine.Tom

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2022, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
True that.
That will be a bad ass motor with the round port allum-heads and a RAIV
cam. You are gona love it and it will be super street friendly.

GT

Old 03-07-2022, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On another note I wouldn't line bore unless absolutely necessary.
In my opinion I wouldn't use stock rods on a bet. Although as others have mentioned at your RPM range cast rods would be fine but I have disassembled enough Pontiac motors with rod knocks that I wouldn't bother with them.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 03-07-2022, 11:49 AM

You may find this useful for the build.
I sure did when I built my engine.
Courtesy of the HO guy's.
Your Parts list is spot on IMO. I would use Forged Pistons, keep the 2 Bolt Mains, and new ARP or Similar Rod Bolts.
The 455 is a great lower RPM torque monster, and not a 6000 RPM motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	94.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	585614   Click image for larger version

Name:	95.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	585615   Click image for larger version

Name:	96.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	585616   Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	585617  

The Following User Says Thank You to Hesster1977 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2022, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
X 2, but I would have the machine shop doing the work to magnaflux the main cap bolts. Forty plus years is a long time to endure corrosive gases. Better to be safe than sorry. It's the same with the connecting rods. As Mike pointed out, the OE cast steel rods are up to use in a 5,200 RPM max street 455 with PROPER attention. This means magnafluxing the rods, checking them for straightness, installing quality aftermarket rod bolts, correctly resizing the rod bores, and torquing the rod bolts in the same manor as the machine shop torqued them before resizing the rods. A lot of us ran OE connecting rods in street engines long before the CCP forged rods became available. In my personal experience, I have seen few CCP forged rods that didn't need work to make them useable. Aftermarket rods from SCAT and Molnar, while based on CCP raw forgings, are machined here in the States.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 03-07-2022 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
On another note I wouldn't line bore unless absolutely necessary.
In my opinion I wouldn't use stock rods on a bet. Although as others have mentioned at your RPM range cast rods would be fine but I have disassembled enough Pontiac motors with rod knocks that I wouldn't bother with them.
WHY would you align bore a block unless there are spun bearings or you are replacing main caps? Align HONING is a far better process to straighten the alignment of the main saddle as it removes a modicum of material when compared to align boring.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-07-2022, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
WHY would you align bore a block unless there are spun bearings or you are replacing main caps? Align HONING is a far better process to straighten the alignment of the main saddle as it removes a modicum of material when compared to align boring.
I should have been a bit more clear....I would not align bore, hone or anything else....
The OP already stated the crank spun freely when the rods were off. My point was I would not touch the crank bore unless the clearance was too far to the edge and at that point I might try juggling bearings first.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 03-07-2022, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
X 2, but I would have the machine shop doing the work to magnaflux the main cap bolts. Forty plus years is a long time to endure corrosive gases. Better to be safe than sorry. It's the same with the connecting rods. As Mike pointed out, the OE cast steel rods are up to use in a 5,200 RPM max street 455 with PROPER attention. This means magnafluxing the rods, checking them for straightness, installing quality aftermarket rod bolts, correctly resizing the rod bores, and torquing the rod bolts in the same manor as the machine shop torqued them before resizing the rods. A lot of us ran OE connecting rods in street engines long before the CCP forged rods became available. In my personal experience, I have seen few CCP forged rods that didn't need work to make them useable. Aftermarket rods from SCAT and Molnar, while based on CCP raw forgings, are machined here in the States.
I guess you're trying to keep the machine shop in business. its very commendable but by the time you pay for all that checking and resizing of inferior and/or outdated parts you might as well buy new stuff.

"5,200 RPM max street 455 with PROPER attention", your quote. Why bother? Why sweat that? JMO

Old 03-07-2022, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The China rods except for maybe Molnar all need to be double checked IMO.Tom