Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New reproduction engine mounts from Ames

First let me say that I think the quality of materials is outstanding on this product but I ran into some problems on installation.

First the swagging that holds on the nut for the horizontal bolt extends into the area that sandwiches the frame mounts and has to be ground off, about 1/16".

Second, on the right hand mount I received the bolt holes were no where close to lining up with the block holes. While the holes are spaced the correct distance from each other, the pair of them are not centered properly on the tabs that hold the horizontal bolt.

See picture below.

I solved the issue by slotting the holes with a milling machine. But that leaves the metal surrounding the bolt hole a bit thin on the rear hole.

In general, very happy with the construction of these new mounts ... but the manufacturer needs to adjust the position of those holes about 3/16" for the right side to work. Not sure if it's all of them, or just the set that I got.
Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MotorMount-2.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	587213  

Old 03-28-2022, 12:44 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
First let me say that I think the quality of materials is outstanding on this product but I ran into some problems on installation.

First the swagging that holds on the nut for the horizontal bolt extends into the area that sandwiches the frame mounts and has to be ground off, about 1/16".

Second, on the right hand mount I received the bolt holes were no where close to lining up with the block holes. While the holes are spaced the correct distance from each other, the pair of them are not centered properly on the tabs that hold the horizontal bolt.

See picture below.

I solved the issue by slotting the holes with a milling machine. But that leaves the metal surrounding the bolt hole a bit thin on the rear hole.

In general, very happy with the construction of these new mounts ... but the manufacturer needs to adjust the position of those holes about 3/16" for the right side to work. Not sure if it's all of them, or just the set that I got.
Thanks.

Dataway, thank you for bringing this to our attention! We have seen some of the nuts protrude too far into the frame bracket opening, some worse than others. The mounting holes to the block we have not seen until now. I grabbed a couple pairs off the shelf to try on one of our engine blocks here in the office. The holes left plenty of room for both bolts to be easily started. The fact that yours were so far off is very interesting; I'm hoping this is an isolated incident. Please feel free to email me at kyler@amesperf.com with more pics and info. See the pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944 copy.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	587335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1945 copy.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	587336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946 copy.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	587337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947 copy.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	587338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1948 copy.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	587339  

Old 03-28-2022, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, to clarify ... the bolt hole spacing to the block is perfect ... it's their relation to the tabs that go over the frame mount that is the problem .... with one of mine anyway.

The holes on my right mount seemed to be shifted forward in relation to the tabs. Which meant I could either A: bolt it to the engine and it would not fit over the frame mount, or B: slip it on the frame mount and the holes would not line up with the block ( the condition when I took the photo). The engine was already installed and I lifted slightly, removed the Chinese mounts and replaced with yours.

Quite possibly a single problem with just one of my mounts. In the big picture ... these are so much nicer than the Chinese mounts that I'd still buy them if they all had the same problem :)

BTW ... the Chinese mounts have over size bolt holes, and the tabs are a much looser fit on the frame mount (due to the thinner metal) .. so of course they install easier, but work worse.

Just posting so you could keep it in mind in case it turns up again. I still have every confidence these mounts are FAR better than what was available in the parts stores and applaud you guys for bringing them to market.

Last edited by dataway; 03-28-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:14 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Actually, to clarify ... the bolt hole spacing to the block is perfect ... it's their relation to the tabs that go over the frame mount that is the problem .... with one of mine anyway.

The holes on my right mount seemed to be shifted forward in relation to the tabs. Which meant I could either A: bolt it to the engine and it would not fit over the frame mount, or B: slip it on the frame mount and the holes would not line up with the block ( the condition when I took the photo). The engine was already installed and I lifted slightly, removed the Chinese mounts and replaced with yours.

Quite possibly a single problem with just one of my mounts. In the big picture ... these are so much nicer than the Chinese mounts that I'd still buy them if they all had the same problem :)

BTW ... the Chinese mounts have over size bolt holes, and the tabs are a much looser fit on the frame mount (due to the thinner metal) .. so of course they install easier, but work worse.

Just posting so you could keep it in mind in case it turns up again. I still have every confidence these mounts are FAR better than what was available in the parts stores and applaud you guys for bringing them to market.
We appreciate the feedback and clarification! We will most definitely keep that in mind for future reference if necessary. I'm glad you like the mounts! The replacement mounts that have been on the market for years were no longer acceptable. These along with our N242A "Torq Lok" mounts have finally filled that void. Thanks again Dataway, have a great day!

Old 03-29-2022, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a set of those last year and had no issues at all.
Beefy and well built too.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 04-30-2022, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wish they made a 455 version of this.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They really are nice ... I've even thought of buying an extra set to store away in case they ever disappear.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
They really are nice ... I've even thought of buying an extra set to store away in case they ever disappear.
Might not be a bad idea. But, I'm thinking these motor mounts will outlive me and I don't see another Pontiac in my future. No way I can top what I've got now!

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2022, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Ames mounts are so clean. The parts store units require some time with a grinder clearing away enough of the excess rubber so the bolt head and socket will clear the junk. Definitely super sanitary mounts.