Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 PM

Default Holley sniper efi install

I’m currently installing a Holley sniper efi 4150 on my 70 GTO 455 using the factory iron spread bore intake. The throttle plate hits the intake, so I’m using a 3/4” adapter plate for clearance. Has anyone else had this issue? Will this cause clearance issues with my factory air cleaner?

Old 04-12-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I believe this issue has come up before with the FiTech installs. You state throttle plate, are you talking about the butterflies physically contacting the intake, or are you talking about the linkage?

You're attempting to put a square bore flange throttle body on a spread bore manifold. Outside of getting out some grinders, you're always going to have to run an adapter. Whethor or not that will create clearance issues will depend on your specific car. Try it out and close the hood softly with a lightly balled up piece of aluminum foil on the air cleaner. That'll tell you how much space you still have.

If the car has the ram air system in tact, that could cause some issues with the added height.

Is there a reason you went with the standard sniper 4150 over the Sniper Quadrajet? This is really the product you want here. It functions the same as the 4150 model, but is in spread bore sizing and would mate to your factory intake without the need for an adapter spacer.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-869

If you can return your current setup and pick up one of the quadrajet models, that may be a better choice.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:42 PM

Holley tech dude told me 4150 unit would work fine with a seal plate part #9006. Can’t return, already started install. Just hope spacer/adapter plate works, I guess if it doesn’t I’ll be purchasing an aluminum intake.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

This may be helpful.

https://www.modsandrods.tv/2015/08/2...ject-trans-am/

You may want to look into drop bases for your factory air cleaner.

I wasn't able to find it with the search, but I recall there was also a member here that did a FiTech install on the factory intake and ground the spread bore flange out to a square bore. There are some options.

Old 04-13-2022, 05:03 PM

I’m pretty sure the spacer/adapter plate is gonna work fine, haven’t got the hood back on. Also, haven’t tried firing it up yet, still have some wiring & plumbing to do.
I also installed the Holley sniper distributer & coil. I appreciate all the info & suggestions.