Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Some roofing help

Just wondering if any of you roofers used these Atlas shingles from Menards

Pinnacle Pristine........with scotchgard

Castlebrook...........double seal technology

Briarwood Pro ..............algae resistant

Odd the same company makes these with just a different deal on each one.

Trying to figure out if one is any better than the other, price is just a few dollars difference one way or the other.

Any help would be great

Rich

Old 06-22-2022, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no experience with Atlas shingles.

But you can go to the Atlas website and get some insight.

The Pinnacle Pristine includes the Scotchguard, they claim it helps prevent black streaks caused by algae.

The Briarwood Pro lacks the Scotchguard but they claim Hi-Def color, I expect the color choices in that line are "deeper".

The Castlewood also lacks the Scotchguard, not sure why it would be more "algae resistant" than any other shingle, the website doesn't seem to mention that as a feature. And it is included in their "value" line, the other two are in their "designer" line.

If algae and black streaking is common on shingles in your neighborhood, I'd be inclined to choose the Pinnacle Pristine.

If not, I'd pick according to the shingle color that I liked best. Looks to me that the most extensive color choices are in the Pinnacle Pristine line, the Briarwood Pro Hi-Def offers the fewest.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ever consider metal roofing? Now comes in different colors and styles. It may very well be the last roof you ever need.

Old 06-23-2022, 08:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wouldn’t use a Menards toilet seat much less a major home construction component. While it pays to be frugal in some instances, major home components are not one of those areas.
Before you slay me, look at all the repro car parts that “look the part” but suck.
Obvious or not there IS a quality difference with cheap crap.
Spend a few more bucks.

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 06-23-2022, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont have Menards in my area nor have I ever been to one. I have been doing construction for 40+ years and not sure I have heard of shingles being 'scotch guarded'. I suppose its just another gimmick in these days of gimmicks. Get the best product you can afford, like was mentioned a roof is not an area to cheap out on. Also, for what ever its worth, check the warranty/wear life. Personally I dont believe in warranties on const. products, I have yet to see one that works! Most shingles today are 30 yr life span min. Menards may very well have a good product but I would stick with one of the proven manufacturers myself.

As far as metal being the last roof, not really true. It will last for awhile but not a forever roof. A true standing seam metal roof is good for a house, but will start about $1000. a square. Lots of people in my area are putting 'metal roofs' on their homes but they are nothing more than junk barn roofs. Why would someone want a roof with 10,000 holes screwed into it? If you really want something to last go slate or even concrete!

Old 06-23-2022, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Menards is a retailer like Home Depot and Lowes.

AFAIK, Menards does not manufacture shingles.

Atlas is a major shingle manufacturer based in Atlanta.

Like everybody else, the Atlas shingle warranty is "limited lifetime", not saying that covers much but the days of the 20 and 25 year warranties seem to be gone.

The Scotchguard treatment involves 3M copper roofing granules and is described here:

https://www.atlasroofing.com/roof-sh...hgard-shingles

When I had my last roof replaced in Fla I looked into having zinc strips installed on the ridge lines but it didn't happen due to cost.

The washing of zinc helps kill algae (why you don't see black streaks in the area below galvanized roof vent stacks and the like). My guess is that the washing of the copper granules is also lethal to algae and rather than install strips they incorporate them into the granule mix.

Trying to control algae black streaks on a shingled roof is a real thing in the south. I don't see the Atlas idea as a gimmick at all.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok here goes. I worked with my father since I was 12 in small construction business. We did alot of roofs.(seemed only on 95 degree days). I've heard that Menards is a lower price co. Does that mean lower quality? I do not know. I deal with local suppliers that we've dealt with for 50yrs. I see different shingle mfgs coming up. I just put a 30 yr roof on my home. I'd would need to look at bundles for mfg in garage,I forget. We did use alot of Owen's Corning shingles. We hand nailed it. I'm 74. My father liked hand nailing.. I'd ck different shingle mfgs. I would look at smaller lumber yards. As far as metal I agree nothing is forever! Till they get your money then in 10yrs try to find help! Also check with your home owners insurance co. if you decide on metal. Other points. We used drip edge,then let shingles stick out past edge 3/4" approx. why? Water running down shingle edge can roll under hits drip edge then will tend to fall and not go underneath shingle. Flashing is the biggest problem because some do not want to take the time to install correctly it's not complicated just labor intensive.i do not claim to have all the answers. My experience has seen alot.My 2cts

Old 06-23-2022, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey thanks guys, i thought about the metal roof, a little pricy for me........im 71 now and im assuming this roof will outlast me..........half the time i dont even plan on supper, i might not even make it till then. lol...........and yes menards is just a retailer , they dont make the shingles.

Will take your advice and look into some different brands also

Old 06-23-2022, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Ever consider metal roofing? Now comes in different colors and styles. It may very well be the last roof you ever need.
This^^^^^^^. I replaced the roof on my former home with metal, and my current home already has metal roof on it. With the winds we get in Ohio, asphalt roofs are a waste of time. Both of the roofs will outlast me.

My former home was on the edge of a field, with very little wind breakers. I can't tell you how many times I was up there repairing the roof after a wind storm since I moved in there in 2005. House was built in 1996, and the roof had been repaired before we had it, from wind damage. Not to mention I could never find shingles to match the original roof, so it looked bad where it was repaired.

In the long run, metal is actually cheaper, plus a few guys can put one on without any real experience. I put one on the lean to I built by myself. No leaks on a fairly flat roof either.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-23-2022, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Metal roof is the primary type here in the NE now. They are not a barn roof anymore. There are styles that look just like shingles, no standing seams and no screws showing. A plus around here is that the snow just slides off. And, when done correctly will out last you.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant get an estimate on the web for a metal roof, just wondering why your guys are paying for say a 1300 sq ft home with a metal roof that looks like shingles.

Rich

Old 06-24-2022, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Metal roof is the primary type here in the NE now. They are not a barn roof anymore. There are styles that look just like shingles, no standing seams and no screws showing. A plus around here is that the snow just slides off. And, when done correctly will out last you.
Yes, that is the type of metal roof you want to use for a house. The metal shingles are nice however the exception to your statement is that a true standing seam is a premium product. With either of these types there are no exposed fasteners. Most of the metal in my area is indeed the 'corrugated' style barn roof. Again they are good for a pole barn, livestock and ag purposes but I would never put one on a house.

No idea on metal shingles, when I priced my last standing seam job (I dont do roofs anymore) 5 years ago it was around $1000. per 100 sf. Prob more now.

Old 06-24-2022, 08:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Biggest thing about brand names, again, using our hobby as an example. I wish I had a picture of the 30+ year old Moog ball joint rubber boots I took off and replaced with the brand new Moog ball joint’s when I did my resto 5 yrs ago.
Lets just say the 30 year old ones I took off look better than my new ones that have almost completely disintegrated.
If menards carries it, it’s garbage. Do you, but don’t be penny wise, pound foolish as my grandmother used to say!
Have a great 4th!

Flowcooler water pump.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only time we had shingles blown off was in a tornado here in Latrobe area. Weve had high winds. You can put shingles on in winter however you need some sun to seal them properly. One side(depending on orientation of structure) will not get enough heat to seal properly. Again I have no experience with metal shingle type roofs. Spanish style tile yes.

Old 06-24-2022, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I lived in Erie, I had no problems with 3 homes there with conventional asphalt shingles.

Winds here in Ohio are very different, the subdivision I lived in last (roughly 50 homes), has had almost every roof on the homes replaced, or repaired in the 17 years I lived there. Metal roofs are quite common in my area, and that's because of the winds here lift shingles, then they tear off and leak. Or we also have a lot of hail here, and the metal usually doesn't dent in a moderate hail storms. Shingles just don't stand up in this particular environment. Insurance companies here will many times give a small discount for homes with metal roofs for fire resistance, and hail and wind resistance over asphalt.

I'm not of the same opinion that metal roofs with corrugated panels are for pole barns, There are plenty of homes here with corrugated metal roofs, both of mine are corrugated metal panels. In this area they've been putting metal roofs on homes for over 100 years, because asphalt does not last here. As I posted 3 homes with asphalt shingles, 2 homes with corrugated metal, for this area I'll take corrugated metal over shingles every time. One of the things that sold me on my current home is the red metal corrugated roof, I like them. As with automotive beauty, and many other things in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My current home and garages with red metal roof:

When I posted these pics last year on PY, when I purchased this property, no one commented, "Nice home, too bad it has a pole barn corrugated metal roof though."....

There are shingles under the metal that are in poor condition. Another plus is you don't have to tear off a roof to put another one on with metal, it's light enough that the weight doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the trusses. Tearing off a old roof is no cheap cost, at least in this area.

My feelings, a metal roof is an asset, not a liability. Real estate in this area pulls more money, and is easier to sell with a metal roof....YMMV.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 06-24-2022, 11:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As long as there are
No exposed fasteners, that looks and should perform awesome. As for the metal roofing with exposed fasteners w rubber ish gaskets, they absolutely will fail and leak over time.
Bet on it.

Flowcooler water pump.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
As long as there are
No exposed fasteners, that looks and should perform awesome. As for the metal roofing with exposed fasteners w rubber ish gaskets, they absolutely will fail and leak over time.
Bet on it.
I've heard that argument before, all my roofs are water tight, all exposed fasteners.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 06-24-2022, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really sharp looking place!

Flowcooler water pump.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Really sharp looking place!
TY, hopefully this will be the last move in my lifetime.

Research shows EDPM ( Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer ) washer screws are the way to go, neoprene washers are the ones that can split prematurely. As with anything, being cheap on the front, costs you in the back.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 06-24-2022, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As long as there are
Bet on it.
This. If your metal roof is installed on furring that was applied over the worn out asphalt shingles you will never notice a leak until it gets bad! Even a good installer misses one or two screws out of a thousand during installation. With that said thats what kind of roof I have...
2018-09-04_02-50-16 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

I will stand with my statement though that the best is true standing seam.
2018-02-21_04-53-53 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr