Old 07-08-2022, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 68 Fender installation

I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I like to ask 68 owners about things that might be specific to a 68, and I know many people here have done this not that long ago.

Is it best to install the fenders with the inner fenders already bolted on the car, or to install the fenders with the inner fender bolted to them? Jeez I have enough problems getting the inner fenders installed without the fenders, would be quite the Rubrics Cube with them already bolted together ... but I suspect that's the way it should be done.

What has your experience been?

Old 07-08-2022, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did mine with the inner fenders bolted up to the body because I wanted to be careful to minimize scratching things. The inner fender took a little adjusting to get it the bolt holes aligned, but it wasn't that big of a deal if you're careful.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^ this.

I loosely bolted the inner fenders to the cowl and core support if I recall correctly. Then I set the fenders up and over the inners.

The Following User Says Thank You to 69gtocv For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, everything loose to start. Got the fender aligned, shimmed and bolted down, then circled back and tightened up the inner fenders last.

It’s way less cumbersome to move a fender vs. a fender and an inner fender attached together.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2022, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, I was hoping it could be done that way .. would have to be a nightmare aligning a fender with the inner bolted to it.

My main worry was getting the inner fender lip ABOVE the fender lip where it belongs as I get the fender hung on. But I guess if it's loose enough you can kind of cock it towards the engine and hook it up there later.