Old 07-17-2022, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 62 Catalina muffler case size?

May sound dumb but I can't find the stock OE case size or dimensions for a 62 Catalina dual exhaust mufflers. I looked all over the internet and can't get basic dimensions. My car had a hacked together system I cut off and threw out. I will soon be having a custom new system built but want to use the original hangers and positions for the pipes. Knowing the correct OE size of the muffler will help me place them exactly where they go and make new pipes to fit. I know they are offset inlet, center outlet. That's all I could find. Overall length, case length, width and height is what I am looking for. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Perhaps Waldrons could help you. They list your exhaust with offsets on both ends of the muffler.
https://waldronexhaust.com/product/1...t-w2-mufflers/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	772C8A63-8BCF-4784-A840-2FC7868F98DB.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	594477  

Old 07-17-2022, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I may give them a call. The mufflers pictured are definitely not correct. The are too round. The stock ones are much more flat. You would think a giant car like a Catalina would have all kinds of room for exhaust. But not the case at all. It's really tight under there. The stupid head pipes go over the crossmember which starts the chaos, then the pipes run really close to the shifter, parking brake cables and driveshaft. I think it's tighter than a Firebird.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, that’s how my ‘63 Safari is and I want to run 3” pipes. Will be using a fabbed crossmember though. Did the bathtub fit under the hood?

Old 07-17-2022, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
Yes, that’s how my ‘63 Safari is and I want to run 3” pipes. Will be using a fabbed crossmember though. Did the bathtub fit under the hood?
My engine is not in the car yet. Just planning ahead. So not sure of the height and fit. I have the carbs on a single gasket, no spacer, so trying to get as much room as possible. Engine is going to the dyno in the next 10 days. For reference I found a good drawing in the 63 Chassis manual which is the same as the 62 but more detailed. It shows a dual offset muffler on each side. The inlet is offset inward to put the headpipes parallel to the driveshaft and very close. It says 1/2" clearance minimum. Then the muffler outlet is offset to the outside for the over the axle pipe and tailpipe. Even has a little drawing for the Safari wagon outlet near the rear tire. Do you have that factory drawing? PM me if you need it.