Old 07-25-2022, 06:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default Best fuel tank option when you need it quick?

Does anybody actually make a legit ‘68 GTO tank that doesn’t need to be bent at the neck?

I’ve seen recommendations for auto city classics but even their tank listings appear to lump ‘68-70 into the same category leaving me in the same boat (I assume).

I’m seeing that I can get a Specta GM34D from autozone in a few days for $172 with a discount and no shipping cost. Is that the ‘69 tank that people use and just tweak? I have a ‘68 tank I just pulled so maybe I could use that as a template to tweak from and not have to play games when it’s already installed?

Thanks for the help, I need to order asap before I kill any more time with unexpected projects popping up!

Old 07-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

I guessing you can’t expect the neck to bend at the tank without it tearing away… I have endless pipe at work, wondering if I clam-shell two half pieces of pipe on either side of the bend in the neck that you can bolt back together yet hinge them on the bottom so you can get the angle you want. Something to only put the pressure on the pipe and nothing on the tank.

Sorry, just rambling while I brainstorm hmmm

Think of it as something along the lines of a pipe bender that supports the entire pipe.

Old 07-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll have to see what tank I used ... I know it was made in Canada. I soldered on my original 68 neck and it all fit very nice.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered the Spectra 34A tank online from Auto Zone. On my porch 48 hours later.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/en/v...umber&limit=25

I had my radiator guy remove one of the two vents at the back of the tank (68 tanks had one large vent) and R/R the filler tube from the original tank but I still had to tweak it slightly to get it centered in the bumper opening. The procedure Greg Reid used was very easy to accomplish. Just take it slow and move a little at a time.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=856835

You may have to bend some of the edges up for clearance, just use your old tank as a guide

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 11:43 PM
Senior Chief

Well the tank is in and functional. It was pretty painless. It showed up with 2 dents and the filler neck was a little cocked to the side, but nothing that couldn’t easily be tweaked back to where it belonged. I took measurements of how high my original filler neck was while the two tanks were next to each other on level ground. I think the new tank filler tube had to be tweaked upwards 2.75” to match (when measured at the very end of the tube). I was able to simply push the tube inwards towards the tank while I tweaked it up. By doing this, I was able to slightly alter/bend the tank sheet metal that the tube was soldered to and not the joint itself. Sounds complicated but it was simple. It may have helped that my filler tube was soldered on rather securely to start.

They appeared to completely miss soldering in the 1/4” vent that was in the fill tube. The whole vent just wiggled in the hole it was punched through. I soldered it in place and it’s all good now. I also only had one 1/2” vent on the rear of the tank so that worked in my favor. The overhanging sheet metal seams were already bent up in the places I need them so that was a bonus too. Overall it looks like a pretty nice tank and it lined up as good as my original with the tweaking I did. I found a different discount code online so it was $142 shipped to my door with free 2 day delivery. I really can’t complain about this experience at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post: