Old 08-04-2022, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Qjet throttle arm/cable

Suggestions needed plz…

72 intake, 77 or so BOP Qjet, 69 A-body.

Going to re-bush the carb and get a Pontiac specific throttle shaft. Only ones I see are up to 71 though.

I’d like to keep the factory cable/bracketry for “simplistic” reasons. Can I use the factory 72 throttle cable bracket along with a cable to make things harmonious under there? I believe the cable that was on the car had the pin, my 70 Bird had the ball stud and snap, replacement cables for 72 A-body’s seem to have that as well.

I may have kicking around my carb parts boxes some Pontiac throttle levers from various years. Would there be an issue attaching say a 72/73 lever to the 71 and earlier shaft?

If push comes to shove I have a Lokar cable, but I’d rather not monkey around with it if factory stuff can be pieced together.

Thx.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'72 Pontiac A Body cable has an eyelet at the carb end that takes a straight stud drilled for a cotter pin. If your throttle arm has a ball-end cable connector, just grind it flush and drill or drive it out and install a replacement straight stud. They have a retaining nut and are available grooved accept the GM style clip or plain Eclip or cotter pin to retain the cable instead of a cotter pin. eBay is your best source for all these parts.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thx, but that’s a 71 or earlier cable. 72 takes one with a square clip thing that fits into the cable bracket on the manifold.

In web searches past couple days I “think” I have it figured out. 71 throttle shaft and lever shouldn’t be an issue, and there’s both ball stud and pin styles.

Where it seems tricky is the cable and pedal. Everything I’m seeing shows 72 cables have that plastic split nut thing at the lever end, they also have a square plastic housing which locates/fits it into the firewall. 71 and earlier attach by a pin at the pedal and two screws through that escutcheon thing on the firewall.

So…appears I will simply need a 72 cable and pedal lever? I’m going to assume * yikes * the pedal mount to the firewall will be fairly universal? Meaning the original one out of my 69 should work with a 72 pedal lever?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chevelle will probably work then. It has the offset rod and split nut with 4 hole base plate. Unfortunately the pedal itself doesn't match,. I converted mine to the '71 Chevelle and used the throttle cable and bracket from the '71 Chevelle. The backet mounts top the rear carb stud and has a round hole that accepts the Chevelle cable which has a rubber grommet molded on. The holley spreadbore accepts the Chevelle Qjet bracket and lines up. I had to drill out the straight cable stud and install a ball end one.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should qualify my last statement. I tried out a Quadrajet and had to drill out the throttle cable stud and swap to a ball end. The Holley is more universal and already drilled to accept any style bolt-on throttle cable stud.