Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:57 PM

Default Heading down under..got some questions

While we are in Australia/New Zealand what do we need to charge our cell phones, camera and maybe a lab top. I understand their electrical outlets are 220. Been reading up on what we would need to charge them and I see adapters and transformers online. is a transformer the best option and if so any one got a suggestion on where to get one.

Bill

Old 08-31-2015, 04:27 AM

240 volts in Aust. Just returned from the US where are able to use our chargers, with plug adapters, for laptop and camera as they allow 100 to 240 volt input. Do not know about the phone as when we visit the US we buy a cheap local one for use there and a card for use to ring home.. You may find that if you are able to use your phone in Aust it may be very expensive. Bruce

Old 09-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2

When I went to New Zealand, I bought a cheap plug adapter. Pretty much all the electronic toys not (laptop, phones, cameras, etc.) can be charged at either voltage.

What part of NZ you going to? It's a beautiful country!!! (can't say anything about Aussie as I have never been there).

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 09-04-2015, 05:32 AM

Smile aussie / nz reply

hello Bill the power here in Aus and NZ is 240 volts and I've spoken to some of the usa lads working here (Perth) and they had brought their lap tops/camera/phone etc and what they did was brought an adapter at the airport or shop and just used that and they have had no problems with charging.
1 x note though was don't use your phone here to ring home as it will cost you an arm/leg what the lads did was made sure their phone was unlocked(get the sim card out) and they brought a sim card here and just used that.
hope this helps
cheers Steve

Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 PM

thanks guys for the replies

The wife picked up a adapter that's supposed to be good for 200 countries....we'll see.
I'm going to up grade my cell phone from my old I4 to a I6 before we leave and will talk to our carrier AT&T about international calling.
Buying a sim card down there may be the ticket..thanks for that scarrgo.

Planning for this trip has been a little "overwhelming" to say the least... sooooo many things to see and do, especially in Australia because of it size

We have a direct flight from Vancouver B.C. to Auckland leaving here on Oct 16th. We are spending first 10 days based in New Zealand in the Bay of Islands and there abouts. Plan on venturing out as far as we can by car to explore the North Island.
After that we fly from Auckland to Cairns Australia and plan on spending 8 or 10 days there. From there we are just going to play it by ear. Our plan right now is to work our way ...over the next 2 or 3 weeks.... down the East coast of Australia by car and fights and end up back in Auckland the end of Nov. for our flight home.
If time allows we would like to spend a few days visiting the South Island of New Zealand before we leave.
I am a country boy and don't like big cities...but my wife and the other couple traveling with us seem to think we need to check out some cities on the East side. Been looking at Brisbane, Sidney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

Any one got any suggestions and "must see" stops
Thanks so much

Bill

Old 09-07-2015, 04:43 AM

Hi Bill, Send me a PM if you require any assistance or advice on the Cairns and FNQ part of your trip. Lived in the north here for over 30 years. Bruce

Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you get a chance while you're in NZ, go see the Waitomo Caves. We went there a few years ago, pretty cool. IIRC, it's about a 2 hour drive from Auckland.

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am