Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Asphalt capping?

I had someone from a newer local company out to make a name for themselves (I've seen a barrage of commercials lately) give me a cold call yesterday and quoted me to "cap" my driveway. He describes it as grinding down the first and last couple of feet, building it up from there then adding two inches on top of my existing asphalt.

I'm skeptical, it sound like something that would last only a couple of years before breaking up, not the 15-20 year bullcrap he tried to feed me.

Is there any merit to capping asphalt or am I correct in thinking it is a hacky, temporary fix?

16x35 (with a sidewalk running through it) for $1800.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If your existing drive is broken up, capping it wont last long and it will break up too. Tear it out and put in new. Surprised you don't have a bluestone drive. I heard they were quite popular up in the PA area.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like less than 10 yards of concrete. shouldn't cost that much more to have it removed and concrete put in. concrete would be about 1000.00 for 10 yards then you have removal and prep of driveway. too bad your not closer, I have the perfect guy to do it

Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Suspended

I have a friend who does that kind of work for a living & from him, he states tat doing what you described would be a good fix for about 2-3 years, as capping is something they do to NEW asphalt when they 1st put it in when it is still hot & it will then bond with heat to the stuff under it & make it very much smoother & less of a chance to break up after about 10 years or so. Then they top coat it with the liquid stuff to seal it. But doing as they wanted to do will only be a temp. fix & at a big price for a bunch of unessesary tear up of your drive way. If it needs it tear it up & redo your drive in asphalt or tear it out & put concrete down. But remember concrete is about 3 time as much as asphalt is.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
But remember concrete is about 3 time as much as asphalt is.
I had 51 yards of concrete floor put in my pole barn. cost for concrete was around $5500.00 with $1000 being a $200 Saturday surcharge per truck (5 trucks)

Old 09-11-2015, 02:58 AM
Suspended

51 yards of concrete, now that my size pole building. But there always big until you get all your stuff in them & then you think l, damn I should have built it bigger.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, How much was it per sq ft to finish the concrete?
Would bet its different up your way, am getting quotes right now.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would expect capping to not last as the base is broken. 2 inches isn't much. Now a good 4 inches would be better.I'm sitting at asphalt plant now for what it's worth. I like concrete.I believe get mix first round in am.So you get 'virgin' mix . 2nd 3rd round you may get someone else's left overs. About 115/yd here. Not sure on finishing rate.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When laying asphalt for a light duty driveway, do you put it down on a rock or gravel base? Sorry for the hijack.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I was doing it, I would put down 4 inches of compacted crushed stone.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They gave you a cold call? That says a lot right there.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Sorry for the hijack.
Hijack away!

I was almost positive this wasn't a good idea, but I wanted to hear it from people who have some knowledge on the subject. Price too good to be true probably is. They have the WORST tag line at the end of their commercials, maybe it is a tongue-in-cheek joke about their sucker clients "You get what you pay for" Thanks- Mitch

Old 09-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Suspended

The oldest tag line for guys who are just in it for a quick buck & leave you with junk is,, well we were just doing a job down the street for one of your neighbors & we have some left over from that job & was wondering if you may want us to give you a GOOD price so we don't have to take IT ALL THE WAY back to our shop so if you do it today we can give you a SPECIAL price.. !! Ya. a special price on the junk they just took up & ran through their grinder & took out most of the junk rock & dirt they pulled up with the old stuff & warmed it back up & can now reuse it but it's not worth 1/4 of what your going to pay. Also if your going to do concrete make sure the contractor puts down at least 4" of the concrete so your cars & trucks don't break it up when you drive on it. You need at least that much for about 2 tons of weight , & so it won't break up during the winter freeze months. 2" will break up under cold conditions if to much weight is on it.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm at asphalt plant everyweek.What they-paving cos,some do this-will do is get a load of material usually 9.5 mm which is 1B-#8 stone.Then send their -salesman- out sell the job.Sometimes the load will set at plant for hours waiting for a job.Last week at one plant a contractor brought a 'bad' load back.What happened the load got cold from sitting.They tried to make it usable by adding diesel fuel.Then complain to producer it was bad. You do not want this cold material. Ask around get a reputable contractor.my 2cts