Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 AM

Smile 1970 Judge Factory Wheel & Tire Sizes

Please tell me what the correct (from the factory) wheel size was for the 1970 Judge.

Also, what was the correct size for the OEM Firestone Wide Oval tire?

Thanks.

Craig

Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

14x6..... G7014

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM

Smile Wheel and tires 1970 Judge

Thanks for the reply. Wanted to be sure of the tire size before I order the Wide Ovals.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are actually going to drive your car, don't order the repro
Firestones........They will make your car ride like a buckboard from the old West.
The repro Goodyear Polyglas tires ride smoother than a modern radial. I'm not
sure what the reason is for this, I suspect it is the rubber compounds that are being used.
I get all my smooth riding Polyglas tires from Lucas Tire. They have warehouses in Ohio
and California. The polyglas have better traction as well. If you check out the cars running
in the Pure Stock Drags, they use the repro Polyglas tires because they hook up better.
I've had customers in my shop that I convinced to change over from Wide Ovals to Goodyears
and they absolutely were amazed at the improvement in handling, ride and steering response.
I've found that people who criticize the repro tires and insist that only radials will make your
car pleasant to drive have had a car with the Firestones installed and they assume all repro tires
perform like that.

Last edited by gtohurstjudge; 02-02-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Senior Chief

How to you know if your car came with Firestone tires or Goodyear tires. My PHS says G70X14 WL FG code TPL.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Red face Reply on correct OEM tires advice

I just looked at the PHS documents I just received in the mail...I have the same description...G70X14 WL (which I assume means white letter) FG...and I don't know what that part means. The code also shows TPL after the price column. Could you help me out? Does any of that mean I should have Goodyear Polyglas tires instead of Firestone Wide Ovals? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 AM

Red face Another quick question on 1970 GTO tire sizes

Another quick question if you don't mind. If I decide to go to a BF Goodrich Radial T/A rather than bias ply tires on my '70 Judge, what would be the appropriate radial size to use to substitute for the stock G70X14 size so I don't get any rubbing against the fenderwells, the speedo still is somewhat calibrated for tire diameter etc.? Thanks, again.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobody really knows what tire came on what cars. White letter bias ply suppliers were not specified by manf.

Pure Stock Guru Dan Jensen runs wide ovals and swears by them. I like polys myself for the look and for feel.

Just like the way both WL bias look on Judges, and I drive mine too....

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

225/70R14 is the nearest equivalent to a G70-14.

Like both the wide ovals & the polyglas's. If I still had a '69, would be hacked I couldn't buy new repro blackwall G70-14's. Still mounting "new" tires out of two stack of early polyglas's. Prob need to get in on one of Rusty's groupbuys, the repro's hook a lot better than rock hard show tires.