Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 PM

71 TA . . cool! Post a picture. Very neat car!!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I bought a 1972 Formula 400 today! It has NOM, cold a/c, rally guages with tach, Formula wheel, ram air cleaner, and best of all, it's lucerne blue with blue interior.

NICE!

Best year grill IMHO. Real good colors too - post up a pick.

Auto or stick and how much?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Senior Chief

Ok were all talking about how many of the formula's are left and you don't see any around but nobody want to fix up a rust bucket, why is that, I have a very rusty 73 400 4sp with R/A with hardly any op's no console no PW's or DL's just PS and PB and rally, but I don't want to part it out and crush it I want to fix it up but everybody tell me it's not worth fixing it up, so it sit's, Do you guy's think something like this is worth fixing up or just part it, it's complete matching # car blue with black mint inter. just needs tail panel and rear Quarter and trunk floor and inter floor and read frame rail are rusted and thats why I stoped working on it and parked it other than that she looks good.LOL I know when I drove it many years ago she was a fast car.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Chief

This was a parts car I picked up for $500 and it turned out to be a 72 lucy blue 455 auto trans am, but had a 350 in it's place and i sold it to some guy who cut it up into a race car and then messed it up and scraped it so it's gone off the face of the earth.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have a hard time parting out that car. However, it gets real expensive replacing all the rear sheetmetal, especially one piece at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbreaker2 View Post

Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Senior Chief

Tell me about, I know, she would be a great runner when put back together there days I go out and sit in the driver seat and close my eye and think back to the days I drove her and looking out over those hood scoops and thats what make it hard to let her go. I still think that if I fix it up even if I replace the floor and rear frame with some after market stuff ( full frame) and have a pro tour car she will still live but if I part her out and cut it up it's gone for good and they are not making any more.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bottom line, you can't save 'em all! If the Formula was a 455 car, maybe it'd be worth the time & effort. But a basic 350 or 400 car probably is better to not restore.
Also, other than SD's, '73's are just a bit less valued than '70-72's. The demand just isn't quite as great.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like Lawbreaker's 1973 car but mint paint. I'll pick the car up on Tuesday night so no pics yet. Cost me $15K. I looked across the entire country, and didn't see any better for the price. Lucerne blue is my favorite color on those Birds and the color my 71 T/A was. Someone swapped out the intake to a Performer, but car comes with original intake. Also, interior has late 70s door panels, but comes with original panels but someone cut holes for speakers in the bottom of them so I'll have to send them for repair to Just Dashes. Has Rally 2's with 4 new BFG T/A Radials, Turbo400, new brakes, new exhaust, new front suspension, new a/c, redone interior is real nice, has new chrome exhaust tips, rear spoiler, repro ram air cleaner with hood boots, and new tailights. The Formula hood is absolutely perfect with no bends or cracks. Overall, what I was looking for and the owner was 25 minutes away!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looks like Lawbreaker's 1973 car but mint paint. I'll pick the car up on Tuesday night so no pics yet. Cost me $15K. I looked across the entire country, and didn't see any better for the price. Lucerne blue is my favorite color on those Birds and the color my 71 T/A was. Someone swapped out the intake to a Performer, but car comes with original intake. Also, interior has late 70s door panels, but comes with original panels but someone cut holes for speakers in the bottom of them so I'll have to send them for repair to Just Dashes. Has Rally 2's with 4 new BFG T/A Radials, Turbo400, new brakes, new exhaust, new front suspension, new a/c, redone interior is real nice, has new chrome exhaust tips, rear spoiler, repro ram air cleaner with hood boots, and new tailights. The Formula hood is absolutely perfect with no bends or cracks. Overall, what I was looking for and the owner was 25 minutes away!
awesome!

Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
sounds like a great deal.........congrats!.......

Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 PM

You are one lucky dude . . have fun with it. Post pics when you can. Congrats.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats...sounds like a great car.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Default 1971 Formula 350

I have a 1971 formula 350 4spd that I am trying to steward. Mostly stock except for the 4 barrel and manifold, engine and transmission are original with less thank 80,000 miles. Only a bit of rust. Leaks some tranny fluid when filled up. Runs well, the 350 is fast enough for me on the occasional drive. No AC or power steering or power brakes, big difference from my daily driver Honda.

Nothing is better than looking out over the hood scoops on the formula.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Lucky dog!!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawbreaker2 View Post
Tell me about, I know, she would be a great runner when put back together there days I go out and sit in the driver seat and close my eye and think back to the days I drove her and looking out over those hood scoops and thats what make it hard to let her go. I still think that if I fix it up even if I replace the floor and rear frame with some after market stuff ( full frame) and have a pro tour car she will still live but if I part her out and cut it up it's gone for good and they are not making any more.
Before my back injury I have had a bunch of cars, F bodys on the rotisserie I built for F bodys. the last one was all there on the roller ,from the firewall back, except the brake booster and rear. We did frame rails with basically most of the back half of the car complete
Just because it needs rails dont think you have to strip it to its bare shell. Also, its totally possible to just do the back half of the rails and the front by cutting slits where you cut the new part, slipm in it and weld the seam , you cant even tell its been fixed and saves HUGE work, typically the middle areas are good on these frames.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:25 AM

Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite thread............ a place for Formula people to hang....

My Formula has the new 12 bolt and gas tank in and 3.55 is a great gear, love it. Bringing a car back from years sitting is a challenge. Rear is great now, tranny is great now, 15 year old 455 build not so great...... runs great and leaks oil from rear main. It has finally smacked me upside head I need to save money for a spring engine build rather than monkey a rear main fix on this one. I'll re-use block, is 30 over hopefully great still (3000 miles on it) and is 4 bolt. I have an HO top end to put on it to replace D port.... this car is a money pit. Will get metal work done when driving season is over here, couple grand there (1/4 and other work) and then I see 3K on engine adventure......

I need a sponsor

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

"I've never met a Formula I didn't like"

Decca Records rejection of The Beatles - 1962
"