Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Formula View Post
Another set of Year Ones.....
Silver Snow Flakes
Those ARE nice looking wheels. They don't look quite right to me on a 70-75, I guess because they never came with them. But if I had a 77-81, I'd put those on.

Tazz, your 17" honeycombs would do well, I think, if they were priced anywhere close to where Year One is pricing these snowflakes.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Firstly thank you for all the compliments gang....

I'm doing the rims for my 1970 Formula Pro-touring car and mine will have a polished lip 1974formula ....

Keith K, I really have no idea of costs to reproduce at this point....I'd hate to tell you how much has been spent so far to build the prototype set......We computer modeled the rim and had to make quite a few changes....The rim while looking stock in many ways is far from it.. It looked odd when modeled exactly and we had to change the pattern to make it look like the stock rims (was a real optical illusion issue when left at stock dimensions and just increased in size......Then came the computer stress analysis and the week points,,,,adjust for stress and back to the optics again LOL.....Back and forth, backk and forth, man this was more than a mouth full and has been going on for a little over 9 months now....

Then of course the original purchasing a set of three piece rims from another manufacture,,,the removal of their center section and now carving actual center sections out of solid block of high grade aluminum.....

If these are manufacture for others, my rims (centers) will have to be used to make a plug/mold for poured center castings and then rim halves would have to be purchased or spun in order to produce rims for others......It is highly unlikely that the rims could be produced for roughly the same money "Year One" sells a cast one piece rim for....Logically a three piece rim has always been more expensive than a one piece cast rim and I'm sure that would be the case here as well.... The good news is I'm having fun doing this (don't have to make a living at it) and will look at offering them to others if I can get the price point down to realistic levels....This will be determined by costs of rim bands and costs of center sections as cast pieces instead of carved aluminum...

Last edited by Tazzz2; 04-10-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz2 View Post
Firstly thank you for all the compliments gang....

I'm doing the rims for my 1970 Formula Pro-touring car and mine will have a polished lip 1974formula ....

Keith K, I really have no idea of costs to reproduce at this point....I'd hate to tell you how much has been spent so far to build the prototype set......We computer modeled the rim and had to make quite a few changes....The rim while looking stock in many ways is far from it.. It looked odd when modeled exactly and we had to change the pattern to make it look like the stock rims (was a real optical illusion issue when left at stock dimensions and just increased in size......Then came the computer stress analysis and the week points,,,,adjust for stress and back to the optics again LOL.....Back and forth, backk and forth, man this was more than a mouth full and has been going on for a little over 9 months now....

Then of course the original purchasing a set of three piece rims from another manufacture,,,the removal of their center section and now carving actual center sections out of solid block of high grade aluminum.....

If these are manufacture for others, my rims (centers) will have to be used to make a plug/mold for poured center castings and then rim halves would have to be purchased or spun in order to produce rims for others......It is highly unlikely that the rims could be produced for roughly the same money "Year One" sells a cast one piece rim for....Logically a three piece rim has always been more expensive than a one piece cast rim and I'm sure that would be the case here as well.... The good news is I'm having fun doing this (don't have to make a living at it) and will look at offering them to others if I can get the price point down to realistic levels....This will be determined by costs of rim bands and costs of center sections as cast pieces instead of carved aluminum...
Tazz... sounds like you've done a lot of good work. I'm not surprised at the issues and iterations you had to go through to get the balance of appearance/structure. And yep... the way you're approaching the production they will be expensive.

You should take your design to the SEMA show in November. All of the Chinese/Asian wheel manufacturers are there (the "Hall of Wheels" is a mind boggler...), and they would be happy to talk to you about tooling a one piece version. I'm sure that's where Year One is sourcing them.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 04-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Tazz... sounds like you've done a lot of good work. I'm not surprised at the issues and iterations you had to go through to get the balance of appearance/structure. And yep... the way you're approaching the production they will be expensive.

You should take your design to the SEMA show in November. All of the Chinese/Asian wheel manufacturers are there (the "Hall of Wheels" is a mind boggler...), and they would be happy to talk to you about tooling a one piece version. I'm sure that's where Year One is sourcing them.
That might work, outsourcing work such as this is always much more cost effective even with the shipping involved....the labour alone is 70-80% less. (educated guess ?)

I'd be interested in a set in the future....waaay better tire selection in the 17" range.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys, for now I want to do some higher quality 3 piece wheels and who knows maybe I'll look to do a one piece wheel in the future....I have contacts (friends with facilities) over there and plan to discuss the rims bands with them should interest become strong enough to warrant a limited production on the higher end wheels....

The intent is to do a few more sets for my cars (I own 5 early second gens currently) and I have a few friends that have expressed interest in a set should I decide to make more than what I will utilize myself...

1974formula I will let you know when I can speak with more certainty about prices should you still be interested....

Thanks again guys.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:51 PM

TAZZ,
This is great. I have my rear honeycombs widened to 9" so that I can run a 12" tire, but what I would really like is some better (modern) rubber. I would actually prefer a 17X12" wide tire so that I can run a 335 in my minitubbed chassis. I think a 17X9 would be fine up front.

I haven't bought the year one honeycombs because they just don't have the look. I would rather have their 17" snowflakes that their 18" honeycombs.

I'm going to PM you so you can keep me on the short list.

thanks
greg

Old 04-10-2009, 11:59 PM

Here's a photo of my wider honeycombs. Only one has been painted at this point, and is starting to crack so I'll redo it with flex additive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transam 003.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	165056  

Old 04-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Opnwide, got your mail amd will keep you informed...

Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1973 Formula,
Thanks for posting those pics of a 70 T/A with the Year One 17 x 9 snowflakes- some may say it doesn't look good, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it looks great to me. I considered ordering the silver 17 x 9's but hesitated- now I think I can order them knowing how good they look.

Geno

Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Senior Chief

I aboslutely love it, even if I prefer the bigger ones, though these are more exact examples, I think personally it would have just a tiny touch better if the heart would be painted in a bit darker grey / metallic'ish' colour. JUST a tiny bit too light for my taste. but still, LOVE it.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ran across this picture online of a '74 SD455 Trans Am with the Year One 18" Honeycombs on it. I'm not as big of fan of the larger wheels as most, but I have to say they look really nice with this color and stance...

Old 10-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

who - they indeed do look a lot better then i thought! cool!

- though tazz' rims are WAYYY cooler

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksGTO View Post
ran across this picture online of a '74 SD455 Trans Am with the Year One 18" Honeycombs on it. I'm not as big of fan of the larger wheels as most, but I have to say they look really nice with this color and stance...

To me the wide chrome lip looks a bit ghetto.Tazzz2, what sizes are you looking at with your wheels,what size is shown in your pics.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Suspended

I think the TAZ Honeycomb style wheel has a larger market than is evident.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Chief

17" R2's On a 70.
Hope the links work:
http://www.roncrablephotography.com/wheelspin-magazine

Click on wheelspin 2 and you'll see a nice Judge layout.

John.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sheesh guys they are just wheels. Take the 5 lug nuts loose and put some 15s back on it if you don't like it lol. I'd like to see some with some gold on them on a '76 SE.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Bonneville,
I'm with you 100%. How about my '76 SE