Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the owner has us doing another car that is top priority. At this time the body is out for blasting, all hardware has been boxed for plating. Thats about where it stands at this time. Shoot me an email on what you wanted to see/know on those brake lines again.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just wanted to verify that they were the original style, without the sleeve in the center. It seems most aftermarket vendors are selling the 69 style as correct for 70.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have 4 70's here. nonhave a "sleeve" in the center

Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing for guys to watch out for when they buy replacements.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i always have said, never go by books with aftermarket stuff. 75% of the time they are incorrect

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Emission sticker , Im NOT a 1970 guru, but I have noticed that most if not all 1970 Birds I have seen have the emissions decal on the Pass side of the core support ( including my 1970 core support, which is from a 1970 Calif Esprit)
Just an observation, hope to hear more opinions on this
mine was on the drivers side.

Norwood car;
built date: 06A (first week of June)
body sequence number: 7388445

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
Been pretty busy lately and finally was able to finish the tear down on the car...During the tear down i found a partial build sheet under the carpet, also found a complete one above the gas tank. So now this car has 3 build sheets !!

Interesting story - I disassembled the doors, in the drivers door i found a old "for sale" sign. I have had the original owners name since i started on the car and never really tried to get in contact as I thought the possibilty of contacting them would be very slim. There was 2 phone numbers on the sign, I did try to call the numbers which were no longer connected. My interest in atleast attempting to contact someone at this point has got the best of me. I went to a web site to do a person search, came up with a list of the same names, addresses and numbers. I look through all the names and ages trying to assume some one bought the car in thier 20's maybe 30's. I choose a number to call from the list of people, and here how it goes....

A lady answers the phone, I'm trying to quickly think of how to start with my question without bein hung up on. So I introduce my self and immediatly say that i have a 1970 firebird in my posession and I say the name of who the owner was. She immediately corrects my firbird phrase and says " A Trans Am?" BING !!!!!!! I have officiallly found and had a great conversation for over an hour on the car. I was able to speak to the wife of the last owner, he is still with us today but his health kept him from talking to me.

She is the one who wanted and bought the car, at the age of 23 and a 1 year old ford cougar, she traded in the ford for the Trans Am on the show room floor. The sales man told her it had a " experimantal 455 engine " when they bought the car. I recieved alot more fun stories and recieved alot of unkown history to the car. They bought the car in november 1970 and sold it around 1995 to pay owing taxes that where due.

She was such a sweat heart to talk with and seemed to just want to keep on chatting about the car. I have emailed her pics of before and during the restoration. She said she has all the paperwork from the purchase and will try to locate it for me. She also has pictures of when she bought the car, and will share as well. I did promise her that when the car is done, I would love for her to fly into town and re-unite with her hot rod once again !!
Too cool!!!!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Been way to long so bump to see how this car is coming along :]

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow - it has been a long time!
So long in fact that I forgot about this thread!

Old 04-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some great info in this thread

Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

formula400 was Tom Fischer of Musclecar Alley, yes? Tom's not working on Firebirds or any cars anymore having pursued a career in law enforcement in Georgia. Car is still at Muscle Car Alley in NY though with current business owner Kevin Konarski, blown apart and still awaiting resto...

Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk about making some changes.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I hope this car gets finished...

73 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white - "STOLEN" AT TERRY SPEAR's SHOP IN Columbia TN ~mid 2014
Last offical pic of the car can been seen here:
http://clubs.hemmings.com/pontiactn/...%20-%20rev.pdf
People have seen it posted FS on Craigs List back in late 2013 early 2014....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT IT PLEASE CONTACT ME!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

wow - that was unexpected!

Old 04-16-2017, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the plant and production time frame stuff is cool.

I can relate to some of the things discussed with my 70 RA III Formula from Van Nuys that might contribute to anyone keeping records.

In regards to the ground straps/wires, mine has both the integrated ground strap in the harness as well as the added copper ground strap to the passenger side head.

As far as decals, for sure mine has the engine decal on the driver side close to center towards hood latch, and the evap emissions decal is on the passenger side but also close to center towards the passenger side of hood latch. The coolant decal is passenger side closer to the radiator cap.

The floor plugs were mentioned, and the rear round plugs being deleted mid May. I'm not sure if an exact time line has been nailed down, but mine is a May build, 4th week I believe (have to double check that) (Edit: checked it and it is in fact 05D) and it still has the rear round floor plugs. So I'm not convinced the mid May deletion of these plugs is accurate, at least on a Van Nuys car anyway.

Edit: The OP was asking about a screw that is in the firewall doing nothing, right above the added copper ground wire on the passenger side. Wondering why it was there or if someone inadvertently put it there. I didn't see anyone answer this so I had to go look at mine and sure enough, my VN 05D Formula has that same screw in the firewall, doing nothing. So if it was a mistake, we can now say there are 2 Van Nuys cars with it.

Last edited by Formulajones; 04-16-2017 at 07:44 PM.