Old 02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The decals on my car were 3.750 from the back edge of the fender and about 1.750 down from the body line. Not centered but at least a few inches farther forward than this pic.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
well I guess here is the proof on the exterior door handles having the stripe or paint color on them also the fender vent grills painted black not body color ,also look at the nose and hood, hood is higher then the pumper door strike painted body color . lots to learn from Ray's pictures.keep them coming
I was about to finish my vent grills in black and the door handles in white. Sounds from the previous post that there may have been some debate about whether that was correct?

Thanks Ray for the pics

It's amazing how much one can learn from three pictures
Anyone have engine shots?!!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll see if I can get some decent pics & post them for you.

I think it would be a NICE detail item to add to your repop.

You could likely get an extra 5 bucks for one with the foam

The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up nice pics..

Great pics,, prob. brings back fun memories. I have some 70 pics of white RAIV @ the track...
The standard int. cars did get the round black knobs, I believe ther deluxe int got the wrapped knob with red insert. I have one luckily for our RAIV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbirds
I thought that picture might be interesting...

Here are a couple more, taken at my wedding in April of 1971. The custom door handles and missing hood bird are apparent in these shots. I may stumble across a few more pictures, but I'm not expecting many more. As much as I liked the car, I never thought to take pictures of it (unlike the dozens I took of my first new car - 67 MGB-GT). An interesting point - at least in NW Ohio, dealers were eager to unload 1970 TA's. I had two dealers fighting over who could give me the lowest price, and I hadn't even asked for a discount. It seems that GM needed to build a minimum number (I think to get sanctioned for racing), and told dealers they were getting them. That's the story the salesman gave me anyway.

The interior shot in the initial post was taken at the Can AM race at Mid Ohio in August of 70. I parked on a hill right beside a brand new Corvette. I had to get up and open the hood, show the interior and answer questions about the TA about every 10 miniutes, while nobody gave the vette a second look. After about an hour the owner of the vette (who was sitting nearby) stomped over, flipped me the bird, and drove away. Raised the cool factor of the TA in my mind a lot - I wasn't sure I liked the stripes and spoilers when I bought it. Just really liked the way it sounded, handled and especially accelerated.

Another old TA story. In the town I lived in at the time (Findlay) there were three 70 TA's - mine, and two white ones. By spring of 71 I had the only one left - the other two were totalled and in the local salvage yard.

Hope you enjoyed some old original TA stories.

I sold the car in 72 and totally lost track of it. Bought a twin that needed a total restoration in 96 for about twice what I paid for the new one in 70. and then spent a couple bucks on a total nut and bolt restoration.

Ray

Old 02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 TA

Guys,I hear some here say the scoop's flap is painted black?? before I even read that I looked at the picture and didn't see that at all. to me it looks like base unpainted metal with a reflection from a sunny day?? every original I have seen had the scoop door un-painted. I may be seeing it wrong here, but doesn't look painted black to me.. Can the original owner who posted these pictures clear this up, do you remember if it was plain metal scoop door or was it painted black?? thanks for the cool pictures..

The Following User Says Thank You to 70RAlll For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 ta

also, one more thing i just noticed.. the car has a front license plate bracket...i thought in 1970 only the california cars had that bracket. i thought the noses on all 70's except the california cars didn't even have the holes drilled for the license plate bracket?? does anyone know this also??

Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 AM

In response to a couple of questions...

My memory on the flapper on the scoop is that it was black, but its been a few years. I checked on the original high-res picture, and it appears to be black in the picture. Could be wrong on both counts, but that's my best guess.

As to the front license bracket, any state with front plates would require the manufacturer to provide a front bracket - so I'm sure they were shipped with every car to those states at a minimum, and probably with all cars regardless of destination. Today all new cars ship with a front bracket, whether the ship-to state has front plates or not. Drilling holes in the plastic front bumpers of today is typically left to the delivering dealer - no front plate, no holes.

Ray

Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ray- thank you for the reply. it is always nice to hear from an original owner of one of these cars. Do you recall the black foam tape that some of the other posters have mentioned?? thank you once again,

Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ray- also, i asked the question about the front plate because i have seen a few of the 1970 bumpers that were not drilled, but it seems all 1971's and up i have seen were drilled. i was just trying to see if it was just the california(which i know mandated it) or if there were other states also..

Old 02-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you and your new wife try out the back seat?

Nice pics. Do you have any numbers left of the car?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool NOS Shaker pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood
2many, when I got my 70 in 75 the shaker door was already gone as well as all the other guts. Thats why I originaly repoed these parts. I have had three different shakers over the years and have never seen the foam. I know that you have mentioned it before, I just don't know what it looks like. HELP.
NORWOOD

This ones for YOU!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02901.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	83169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02902.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	83170   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02906.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	83171   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02908.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	83172   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02909.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	83173  

The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2Many, That is interesting. In pic 2 it is plain to see that the door is also punched for the GTO bracket. This I have never seen. HMMMMMM

Old 02-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is also interesting to see that in picture #2 the flapper is plain metal colored on the inside. but the outside with the foam tape is black. this appears to be a case where the flapper wasn't painted but the black foam tape on teh outside gives the apperance of a black painted flapper??

Old 02-20-2007, 11:26 AM

Default shaker foam?

Re the question on the foam on the shaker. Answer is I don't remember any foam, think it was just black metal. But again...it was a few years ago. For what its worth - the research a group of us did when restoring 70 and 71 TA's a few years ago resulted in painting the flappers black on our cars.

Ray

Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM

2manyT/As, I find your pictures absolutely fascinating! You are the first one I've seen that has one IDENTICAL to mine, with the foam on the flapper and the mounting tabs spot welded on to the ring rather than being part of the ring. Also has the additional holes in the flapper that Norwood pointed out. The one I have I bought on Ebay years ago, and appears NOS, no evidence of any screws attached, no scratches, no rust, but with some repairable fiberglass damage. All the other scoops I have (and have seen) have the mouting tabs integral as part of the scoop's metal ring, no foam, and a flapper door without extra holes. I've always wondered if it was a mid to late 70's functional scoop that could be bought over the parts counter, and hence the spot welded mount tabs? I also have a 71/72 NOS scoop in the 1973 dated GM box and it does not have spot welded tabs. I'm going do some more research and compare the Barnum number on the scoop to other scoops I have. Norwood, any thoughts?

Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM

Smile foamed shaker?

Checking Barnum numbers under the shaker, the black foamed functional one I have is 491982, the same number as on a non-functional 75/76 shaker I have. An original used functional shaker I have without foam and non-welded mounting ears is 481689, which to me indicates an earlier production. I haven't pulled out my NOS one yet, but I believe it too will say 481689 as its mounting ears are not spot welded. To me,this says that the foam styled functional shakers were mid-70's made, available from the parts counter, and built using the same fiberglass shaker used at the time on the 73-76 style, but using a different metal frame with spot-welded mounting ears. The rivets appear to me to be original on mine, so I don't think mine is a "backyard" conversion, but a true GM functional shaker. 2manyT/A's, what number is on your scoop? Sorry to sound if I'm hijacking the thread.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

one more thing i have noticed on the pictures of the black foamed shaker. the lip looks too thick for a 1970 model. the 1970 model is approx. 1/10th of an inch thin accross and the 1971 and up shakers' lips are 2/10th of an inch thick. guess GM had problem with the 1970 versions cracking at the lip(like my 1970 has) anyway, the one that was posted here looks to be the thicker version which would translate to a later production model, as another poster here has assumed. just my thoughts.....

Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll
one more thing i have noticed on the pictures of the black foamed shaker. the lip looks too thick for a 1970 model. the 1970 model is approx. 1/10th of an inch thin accross and the 1971 and up shakers' lips are 2/10th of an inch thick. guess GM had problem with the 1970 versions cracking at the lip(like my 1970 has) anyway, the one that was posted here looks to be the thicker version which would translate to a later production model, as another poster here has assumed. just my thoughts.....
Agreed -- looks like '71+ shaker.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you very much for sharing the pictures Ray!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and with all the discussion we have had about the black knobs verses the wrapped leather like knob and red insert....I can't believe no one said anything about that comment that was posted.