Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 AM

My vote is Formula.
In fact when i bought my Formula it had been converted into a clone of a TA and I converted it back to a Formula.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	176214  

Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm looking for a 70-73 Formula, but wish I could find a nice NOM one for $10K or less.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like them both........but a Formula needs to have the right options........the early T/A's were no compromise performance cars........I like that.....once the 350 Formula's came out in 71 it watered down their image.........

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. I would not want a Formula 350 and would want the rally gauage package as well.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70 Formula's are so rare they shouldn't be monkeyed with, unless you have a missing a bunch of parts one.

The essential Formula (71-73) should be a F400 or 455 ideally, although changing emblems from A F350 to a bigger cube version is a "must have a PHS to know" deal.....

should have at a minimum:
PS
PB
Gauges

All else can be added if needed.

The hardest is the TA suspension option, requiring spring changes. But like me, I added big sway bars and 15" wheels and kept the in-between sping rate springs (they are in between base and TA in stiffness) and actually like the compromise set-up, not TA harsh, but still flat cornering.

Since I had gauges, a tach add was easy.

All Formula's if ordered with a spoiler, should promptly have it unbolted and set in the corner to point at when people ask where the spoiler is

Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post

All Formula's if ordered with a spoiler, should promptly have it unbolted and set in the corner to point at when people ask where the spoiler is
We were waiting for THAT!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer the 71-72 Formula 455HO's. As much as I love the 70-74 Trans Am's, they were just so limited in color choices that I would rather own a Formula 455HO. I'm not sure if I've ever met ANYONE that didn't love the Formula hood! Heck, even the Chevy and Mopar guys are envious. I've run into several die hard Chevy and Mopar boys that say they would NEVER own a non-Chevy or non-Mopar.....except maybe a 70-74 Formula.

I think I've discussed this topic once before on this site, about which model would be faster in the 1/4 mile, the Formula or Trans Am. While the Trans Am was a tad heavier, the spoilers, spats, and fender vents may provide enough of a reduction in the aerodynamic drag department, and keep the car lower to the ground, to make up for the few extra pounds they carried over the Formula.

But overall, I love the Formulas for their choice of colors, clean lines, and (don't anyone slam me for this)....no hood bird. It's all personal taste, but I actually also prefer the non-engine turned dash too.

So give me a 71-72 455HO, 4-speed, honeycombs or Rally II's (no poverty caps), and I prefer the rear spoiler. Hey, is someone taking down my order here?

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That 1972 Silver, Ram Air, 455 HO, 4-speed car at the Uprising was HOT, and I asked the owner for first right or refusal.
He said its his favorite car and he's not interested in selling at the present time. Thus the phone calls begin. Not to be a pest but just for a nice hello, and reminder from time to time.
LOL,
Brew

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m embarrassed to show my Formula here because of a “defect” on the trunk lid and the lack of upgraded wheels and tires. I do have the other mentioned goodies that everyone seems to like, gauges, ps, pb, no a/c , am/fm stereo radio, 8 track, M20, 12 bolt, I left the standard steering wheel and the standard interior. My goal was a car with all the “go fast stuff and no frills look” Everyone has a different idea as to what the perfect car is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BAN 1 SHOW.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	176280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Panels 008 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	176281  

Old 07-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I prefer the 71-72 Formula 455HO's. As much as I love the 70-74 Trans Am's, they were just so limited in color choices that I would rather own a Formula 455HO. I'm not sure if I've ever met ANYONE that didn't love the Formula hood! Heck, even the Chevy and Mopar guys are envious. I've run into several die hard Chevy and Mopar boys that say they would NEVER own a non-Chevy or non-Mopar.....except maybe a 70-74 Formula.

I think I've discussed this topic once before on this site, about which model would be faster in the 1/4 mile, the Formula or Trans Am. While the Trans Am was a tad heavier, the spoilers, spats, and fender vents may provide enough of a reduction in the aerodynamic drag department, and keep the car lower to the ground, to make up for the few extra pounds they carried over the Formula.

But overall, I love the Formulas for their choice of colors, clean lines, and (don't anyone slam me for this)....no hood bird. It's all personal taste, but I actually also prefer the non-engine turned dash too.

So give me a 71-72 455HO, 4-speed, honeycombs or Rally II's (no poverty caps), and I prefer the rear spoiler. Hey, is someone taking down my order here?
A red 71 455 HO Formula sold for $30K on ebay a month or so ago. It was restored, had a/c, formula steering wheel, rally guages and pw. Don't have quite the bucks so didn't make a bid that high. But that's what I'd buy!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:59 AM

I love em both . . . but still gotta give it to the Formula as the number 1 of all time for me. Anyone know who is producing the honeycomb and snowflake wheels is 16 & 17" sizes. I really want (Snowflake first choice) for my 71 Goat if I can find em.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 AM

BREWSTER I AGREE, CAME TO THE SHOW SUNDAY ABOUT 2:30 AND PARKED NEXT TO THAT SILVER 72 FORMULA, HEY THAT WAS NICE! I HAD THE WHITE 72 TA OUT THERE FOR A FEW HOURS BUT I'LL STICK TO THE TA LOOK OVER THE FORMULA FOR NOW!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I ask myself this question all the time. It's why I prefer the old Pontiacs. The older ones have more character and fun built in.

I would say that the 455 HO decal on the Formula engines is the best engine decal Pontiac or any car maker ever produced.
There was a 71 or 72 Formula 455HO high option car if I remember correctly in one of the Pontiac mags a few years ago, like a light lime green, no rear spoiler, that was really a nice car.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

7072PMD, I saw you and that car and wanted to talk but you took off a little early. I was parked down from you only a couple cars to the north with a cooler to keep all refreshed.
Maybe next time ?
Brew

Old 07-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
That 1972 Silver, Ram Air, 455 HO, 4-speed car at the Uprising was HOT, and I asked the owner for first right or refusal.
He said its his favorite car and he's not interested in selling at the present time. Thus the phone calls begin. Not to be a pest but just for a nice hello, and reminder from time to time.
LOL,
Brew
Would love to see a pic of that car if you got one! The 455HO's seem to be popping up all over the place lately.

I prefer the Formula as well for the colors and more subtle looks, but would love to have a early T/A as well some day. I like the look of the rear spoiler but it's just a matter of personal taste, they look good either way. No matter how they were optioned, the 2nd gens. are about the best looking and performing cars made in the muscle car era so I feel lucky to have one of any variety.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:40 AM

BREWSTER I DID NOT MISS YOUR 73 TA, JUST BEAUTIFUL. I WOULD BE NERVOUS TO DRIVE THAT CAR AROUND THE CHICAGO AREA BUT UP NORTH BY YOU IT MUST BE LESS STRESSFUL. MY SON AND I DIDN'T STICK AROUND LONG. I LIVE 5 MINUTES FROM THE SHOW SO NEXT YEAR I'LL TRY TO MAKE IT TO THE PRE-UPRISING SO WE CAN ALL MEET.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Formulas, being less noticeable (compared to a T/A) and less valuable in most cases that T/As, are better suited in my opinion, to daily or more frequent driving.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I’m embarrassed to show my Formula here because of a “defect” on the trunk lid and the lack of upgraded wheels and tires. I do have the other mentioned goodies that everyone seems to like, gauges, ps, pb, no a/c , am/fm stereo radio, 8 track, M20, 12 bolt, I left the standard steering wheel and the standard interior. My goal was a car with all the “go fast stuff and no frills look” Everyone has a different idea as to what the perfect car is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: BAN 1 SHOW.jpg Views: 21 Size: 90.6 KB ID: 176280 Click image for larger version Name: Rear Panels 008 2.jpg Views: 13 Size: 15.3 KB ID: 176281
dont be emberrassed! your car is sweet! looks perfectly classic, i like that

Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM

I would love to have both! I think they're both great looking cars! The Formula needs to have the 455 though, nothing less in my opinion..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

in reply to that, though I do agree it's fantastic to have a 455-formula,
I think they should've kept the 455 just for the t/a.... I mean, if that is the top of the parade, it should have something exclusive over the 'lesser' models....Like f.e. a Ferrari F430 scuderia's options, in a regular Ferrari F430, only diff is no stripe......that doesn't sound well. nobody would buy the scuderia. I'd say that should've been done to the T/A.

Nevertheless, they're both fun and games