Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am looking at a 70's wiring diagram now, and I see a 16 gauge solid black wire which goes to the blower motor. Maybe try and make sure your heater/ac control switches are turned off, and check to see if it has power then. I know my blower only has the low speeds, and high, no OFF. But the heater selection on top has an off posistion which should turn it off.

Does your blower motor work? I know this wire seems awfully far away from the blower motor, but just something I has stumbled across so far....will keep looking.

Maybe to try and help some more info needed: You say this has power all the time...With key on or off? Maybe pull one fuse at a time to see what kills power to wire and let us know what the fuse was labeled for.

Where are you at with this car? I know this sounds crazy, but I love stuff like this with these older cars, Love trouble-shooting wiring stuff. Still trying to figure out your wipers working in reverse problem.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post

Where are you at with this car? I know this sounds crazy, but I love stuff like this with these older cars, Love trouble-shooting wiring stuff. Still trying to figure out your wipers working in reverse problem.
Im in houston. I just got done with most of the interior. The car is ready to drive on the road. Its been raining alot and I dont want to get caught in the rain.

Im going to double check everything and make sure all the grounds are grounded under the dash. I cant think of anything else.

OH, its only hot when the ign, is in the on position.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't say if 1970 is different than 1971, but for 1971 there is no difference in the engine wiring harness for a car with standard wipers versus recessed wipers. The connector with three wires running to it is for the pump which sticks out toward the front of the car on your rectangular style wiper. The other dual and the single connector hook to the prongs that stick up and to the left on the top of the motor. Here's a picture of one off the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00358.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	212928

And here's a picture of a 1971 engine harness in that area.

Name:	DSC00359.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	212929

No heavy black wire going there. I also checked an original car that I have and no extra wire there, either.

However, there is a heavy black wire in the engine harness. It runs from that firewall junction to the back of the alternator and connects to the BAT terminal on the back of it.

I think it was fairly common to tap into this large black wire to add accessories like an alarm system, for example.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am looking at a 70's wiring diagram now, and I see a 16 gauge solid black wire which goes to the blower motor.
The wire that goes to the blower motor, at least on a non-AC car, comes through the firewall with a big grommet from the heater harness and does not plug into the engine harness. Looks like this.

Name:	DSC00360.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	212931

On AC cars it seems to come through the same spot in the firewall as non-AC cars, but it's the AC harness, not a heater harness. Might plug into the engine harness. Might be good to know if the car has AC or not.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
The wire that goes to the blower motor, at least on a non-AC car, comes through the firewall with a big grommet from the heater harness and does not plug into the engine harness. Looks like this.

Attachment 212931

On AC cars it seems to come through the same spot in the firewall as non-AC cars, but it's the AC harness, not a heater harness. Might plug into the engine harness. Might be good to know if the car has AC or not.
Its a non ac car. a wire runs from the blower motor into the firewall like you say.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The blower motor was just a total shot in the dark. I figured it came in a different harness, and was too far away for that, but sometimes you have to rule everything out.

Hook up a test light to the wire, and start pulling fuses until the light goes out, and let us know what the fuse was labeled for then. Will be helpful to at least narrow down circuit/accessory.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
The blower motor was just a total shot in the dark. I figured it came in a different harness, and was too far away for that, but sometimes you have to rule everything out.

Hook up a test light to the wire, and start pulling fuses until the light goes out, and let us know what the fuse was labeled for then. Will be helpful to at least narrow down circuit/accessory.
OKAY. Tonite will get some info.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

did you ever get this mystery ( wire ) sorted out?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That wire seems awfully big, but do you have or use to have an underhood lamp?

Any luck yet finding what fuse is powering it?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
That wire seems awfully big, but do you have or use to have an underhood lamp?

Any luck yet finding what fuse is powering it?
Time has not been on my side. I plan on making time this weekend.

Not sure about a underhood lamp.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any new information about your extra wire?