Old 09-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a 77 TA with stock floor shift. after installing new engine i cant get the tranny to go all the way into park unless i get under car and push the lever forward manually. I only have to barley touch the lever that the cable hooks to to make it go into park all the way. its like its going into park almost but like the shifter isnt pushing it all the way to fully engage it. also when i put car in drive its in the Park position on the shift indicator.. is there a way to adjust the shifter or what ??? cant finger this thing out :P
Thanks
Mike

Old 09-24-2002, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got a 77 TA with stock floor shift. after installing new engine i cant get the tranny to go all the way into park unless i get under car and push the lever forward manually. I only have to barley touch the lever that the cable hooks to to make it go into park all the way. its like its going into park almost but like the shifter isnt pushing it all the way to fully engage it. also when i put car in drive its in the Park position on the shift indicator.. is there a way to adjust the shifter or what ??? cant finger this thing out :P
Thanks
Mike

Old 09-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the shifter into low gear (1st gear). Get under car and loosen nut attaching cable to linkage. Make sure (by checking with your hand) that the linkage is clicked into low gear. Now tighten the nut back up, all the while taking up any slack in the cable. Also, make sure the brace that attaches to the pan bolts that keeps the cable housing stationary is affixed properly and not loose. Get back in the car and place it in park and start the car and test it to see if it engages all gears properly. If not, time to replace the cable.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bingo,
Works alot better now goes into park 4 out of 5 tries from Drive or low gear [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] much better than before....But my shifter still wont pull all the way down to the big L. oh well it clicks into low gear thoe, and will hit park now hhee. Thanks Brian ..i may go on and replace the cable later on thoe [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Mike