Old 02-09-2007, 11:26 AM

Default 1970 GTO

Automatic H-400 transm. in my GTO 70. I have the PHS and car came with this transm. but the car has a double gated. The car was actually manufacture in 1969 and sold as a '70 model. Could be the original transm.? or is a 69-68. The PHS match with the rest of the numbers and specifications.
The option list is large with a deluxe console, steering wheel, seats etc.
The block is a YS code. Power steering, brakes. Now has 15 Rallie wheels that were avaliable until 1971. I just want to learn about my car. Please enlight me.
Thanks

Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

by "double gated" I'm assuming you mean a dual gate floor shifter? That was not available beyond 68. Since there is no problem mounting a 68 dual gate into any 68-72 console, it's an easy swap that's been done countless times. I guess anything's possible with dealer installs, but it's pretty much a given that it's not the original shifter for your car.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:31 PM

Thank you. Is this change done for improvement or is no good for the value of my car. I plan to complete restore this great car, but I am afraid that this change may hurt the value and chances to be a great restoration. Initially was sold with vinyl top, now has some rust around the back window. I will need to do a complete strip and then back with the original color. The interior is great, has a luxury package.
I want to be sure that you know how much appreciated your help and advice.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A dual-gate shifter is something that would have been added as a preference by an owner. It isn't original to your car, but unless it's a concours restoration, I doubt if it will negatively affect the car.

1970 GTO's never had any such thing as a "luxury package". The vinyl used was the same across all 1970 GTO's- but would have been an upgrade if the car was a LeMans (the GTO interior was only available with the Sport option). They all had the "comfortweave" (actually a woven, perforated vinyl) inserts, with the only interior options being: 1) Center console (mandating bucket seats), 2) Steering wheel (wood Sport or Formula), and small items like map-reading dome light and vanity mirrors on the sun visors, and of course the radio and power window/lock options.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TJH is right on all counts. About the only thing the dual gate will hurt is points at a show. I don't know anyone who'd complain about having one. The standard shifter is a pretty common, cheap part on Ebay or probably quite a few members here have one laying around as well. Your dual gate is worth WAYYYYY more than a standard 69-72 shifter. You can always grab up a standard one and stick it in a box, and if you ever sell the car, swap it back in if originality becomes an issue with the guy/gal buying it from you. Rot on vinyl roof cars is pretty common, nice thing is that any fixing work gets covered back up.

Post some pics of that gem and let us see what we're talking about!

Oh yea, welcome to the neighborhood!

Later,
Dennis

Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks GTO4ever and Dennis:
I grew up in Central America druling at this beauties. At the Sat. strip I enjoyed seen a Firebird and a GTO -JUDGE just this color. I have some pics that I will post now. I hope I can count with both of you in the journey of the resto.
Thanks again
Guillermo