Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well mine was originally the CC/Sienna (a twin to carmak's) and mine didn't have the original engine in it when I got it in 86. With so many components missing for the A/C and the need to make it faster, several engines and many years at the track got it to the point that when I got my knee hurt and my therapist told me that it wouldn't stand fro slamming the clutch anymore that it has returned to strictly street use. A recent paint job away from the factory color and interior color has it back up again till I get the money for a full blown restoration, NOS quarters, fenders, hood, etc but will remain slightly wild under the hood and will remain a four speed. And it will go back to the Canyon Copper/ Sienna, but for now I'm enjoying it the way it is.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:16 AM

Here is an update. I think my GTO was in a minor front end wreck. The bumper has a nice crack just right of the grille. The valance, fog lights, and grille have been switched to a '72. The hood has some minor welding to the front of the hood, which has since all but rusted out. It's interesting as you start to break down the car how a few things can add up and give you a good look at what has happened to a car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2683.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	200662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2688.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	200664  

Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 AM

Default Work done to this point

Here is what I have actually accomplished over the winter. The first pic is after I removed the windshield. Second is just below the passenger side pillar where the rubber trim ends. The door was hiding out a nice rusted hole. Third pic is the passenger floor which is almost gone. Next is after the dash was removed. Final pic is just after the front clip was removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3330.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	200667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3338.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	200668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3335.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	200669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3329.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	200670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3283.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	200671  

Old 03-21-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Random parts pictures

Just some random pics of parts and what I will need to repair.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3261.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	200672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3281.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	200673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3337.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	200674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3262.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	200675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3269.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	200676  

Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

keep on it woody; we're watchin!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM

Here's a nice one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWAX:IT#v4-38

00 Accord
06 GTO
70 GTO
Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 PM

Default I feel your pain

Thanks for posting about your 1971 GTO and for the photos. It's great to see everyone answering and sending their own photos. I joined this forum just recently to ask for advice on my 71 GTO. I got good response and that helped me a bit. Everything I touch seems to turn up something else that needs attention. I started just wanting to find out why my carpet had moldy signs and ended up tearing out the seats, door panels, carpet, etc and painting POR15 over everything. I took the passenger front fender off and found a rust hole that had about a quart of dirt and twigs up in my firewall. Now I have to remove the other fender and see if the same thing happened there. I had difficulty in removing the kick panels until someone here suggested how, and I got them out. I found holes in my floor panels that the previous owner punched through to let the water drain out! Now I need to find out where the rest of the water is coming in and fix that. I also want to remove the windshields and POR15 the area around that and replace everything. I'm trying to do as much work as I can to save money and don't have much experience at this. I sure wish there was a video that would show us how to do this stuff.
Here's what the car looked and looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO Work 2009-10_01 front fender off.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	201080   Click image for larger version

Name:	1971 GTO Interior.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	201081   Click image for larger version

Name:	1971 GTO.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	201082  

Old 03-24-2010, 06:51 AM

I saw your original posts asking about the leak. Sounds like you ran into a can of worms!! Sorry to here that. I went in with the idea of doing a complete tear down and would be upset if I had bought a nice looking car like your's and had to do so much work.

I can give you some advice on the windshield. Google Windshield removal tool. I got mine from amazon for like $15 + $5 shipping. Well work it. You just slip the blade between the metal and glass. Just take your time and keep the blade level with your hand on the handle with the blade and when you pull the cord keep it level as well. I cut along the top, sides, and just around the curved part at the bottom. Then I pushed out the windshield and cut out the bottom with a razor blade.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:04 AM

Update: I purchased a '72 lemans as a parts car it has a very solid body. The rear lowers (area behind the rear tires) is still going to required, but I can use the entire floor pan. I may need to use the entire roof skin as well (it depends on how bad mine is once I get it sand blasted). I was hoping to use the trunk lid as well, but it is rusted in the same spot in the frame just behind the lock for about 8 inches towards passenger side. I'm hoping to maybe cut out a patch from the drivers side and move it over. It has most of the chrome trim, which I am only missing one piece. I will also be able to grab a few patch panels from a couple of areas.

Hopefully by the end of the summer I will have my patches done and know what parts I have left for anyone that may need them. At this point I should have to 2 very solid doors, a complete trunk floor, front fenders that are in good shape and as long as I can remove them with out any issues, some original glass, possible a rear end and the original front end and rear end for someone restoring original. I may keep the frame for build a future rat rod.

Thanks for the support!
Sam

Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Windshield Removal Tool

Thanks for the advice on removing the windshields, GTOWoody, I really appreciate it. I'm going to remove the electronic ignition and replace it with the original distributor system. I'm also taking my tripower off and putting my Holly 650 back on, and will eventually put an original Quadrajet back on. My first priority is to get this rust hole and leaking taken care of and then get to the mechanicals. I appreciate that you are allowing enough time to get this done and I'm figuring on two years here. Spring is coming and I'm sure I'll have the bug to get on the road, but I'll have to hold back on the horses until it's road ready.
Thanks again.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 AM

Sorry, I was out of town this weekend. I used a screw driver since, my trim is going to need to be redone. If I cared about the paint or if my trim was in good shape I was going to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-2038-Win.../dp/B0002SRCN8

I have seen other that recommend this tool, but what ever you use, I would put tape around to make sure there is not metal to paint contact.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Finally made a little progress. I picked up a '72 Lemans that has good sheet metal. The floor pans, front and back fender wells, and several other various areas are in good shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Parts Car.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	221032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts Car Floor.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	221033  

Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 PM

I also bought a hammer and dolly set and started to fix the dent in the passenger fender. I need to get down to the bare metal before I fine tune it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2667.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	221034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Repair.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	221035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender Repair3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	221036  

Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep up the work and it will be finished before you know it.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

get the date code from the area by the distributor hole. Letter then 3 numbers
A034 Jan 3 74 then lookup the YH code for the year you have.
My 71 did not have the original 455 in it when I bought it but I was happy to learn from PHS that it was an original 455 car. It now sports a 71 YC code 455 motor, so not original, but correct for the car

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html