WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Race Tech

93-02 Race Tech Keeping the Pontiac name alive on the track.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Default Launch RPM

I just bought an 02 WS6. The car put down 454rwhp and 419rwtq on the dyno at Vengeance Racing. I have a 1980 Grand Am that I bracket race,but have never launched a stick car. Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea on where to launch. It has 285/35 summitomo tires on the back, don't know how well they will hook. On the street I can bust them lose pretty easy. I just want to make a few passes and see what it will do. I am trying to get a friend of mine to run me heads up with his ZO6, should be fun. Thanks.

Mel
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

With those tires and that HP/TQ numbers you'll need to feather the clutch for best results. Autos with slightly less HP seem to like 4000 converters, if that gives you an idea.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM

Pull around water box heat tires in 1st gear dry no water. Pull up to line and bring RPM's to 2,600 and side step clutch while mashing the go pedal. Pulled 1.80 60 foot times with the Goodyear F1's and ran a best of 13.0's in our stock 02 WS6 with only mods being air lid and spare tire removed but added SLP bolt on subframe connectors. With DR's car ran a best of 12.75 at Steele, AL.

I would not take it to the track without at least DR’s no sense in grabbing 2nd or 3rd gear and take a change on putting it in the wall! Besides the Z06 is about 500 lbs lighter then you so you will need all the help you can get!

Good luck and be safe!

N2