Old 07-31-2023, 06:17 PM

Default Cluster Grounds and more.

I am trying to fix the dash that was slapped together incorrectly from the previous owner.
My car is a 1970 Gto , rally gauges with clock.

I have a few questions I would appreciate your knowledge about. I have attached 3 pics.

1. What is the name of the part I circled in yellow? I would like to buy 1 but don't know what it's called to do a good search.

2. I have 2 pics of grounding straps. Does a 1970 use the small L-shaped straps? I have seen pics online and didn't see them OR is the other pic of the three grounding straps all I need?

3. Does the headlight switch need to be grounded? If so how?

I appreciate any and all help or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230731_180418_eBay.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	617161  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230731_180039_Chrome.jpg (119.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230731_175649_eBay.jpg (124.5 KB, 37 views)

Old 07-31-2023, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is from a service bulletin:

Don't know what the part is called, try wiring channel for IP cluster?

Also didn't look to see if the headlight switch had a ground.
(just had this from a previous post somewhere i think)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70-ip-grounds3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	617176  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-31-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
This is from a service bulletin:

Don't know what the part is called, try wiring channel for IP cluster?

Also didn't look to see if the headlight switch had a ground.
(just had this from a previous post somewhere i think)

I did do a previous search on the forum and did come across the pic you attached. But the picture didn't answer alot for me.

It doesn't have the name or part# of the "channel" as you describe it.

It also shows a ground strap for the wiper switch that looks nothing like what is sold in the 3 piece set I added a picture of.

And what about the L type brackets? Are they used on 1970 cars? I believe the go on the top of the gauge cluster?

That diagram leaves me with more questions than answers.

Last edited by 70geeteeohh; 07-31-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 10:30 PM

Ok I think I have made some advancement by staring at the pictures of the parts repeatedly.

Yes I do need a separate ground strap that mounts onto the wiper switch. Yes I need the 3 ground straps.

1st goes from the clock to cluster which your photo showed.

2nd goes from the wiper switch to the cluster.

3rd goes from the cluster to the dash frame itself.

I only need 2 L brackets. They get attached to the top of the gauge cluster and that is where the "mystery channel" get fastened to.

SO I just need the name or part # for that yellow circled part and this thread is answered. I think!?

Old 07-31-2023, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=830000
I've called the yellow circled part a dash harness gutter.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The manual refers to the plastic channel as a "harness conduit". I have never seen these reproduced, and usually they are cracked or split where they attach to the brackets. I had 4 used ones from parts cars over the years and only 1 was worth using on my restoration. Might find one in the parts wanted section.

You are correct, only 2 tabs are required to mount that conduit to the top of the cluster.

The Inline Tube grounding kit if for multiple years and you don't need all 3 for your car (at least I did not on mine). I can't find a good picture of my dash before installation to confirm, but I think on my 70 I only used 1 or 2 straps. For sure 1 was left unused.

Here is my take of the ground path starting at the clock:

-clock grounds to main cluster through straight full size strap

-main cluster gets grounded to dash frame through wiper switch bracket (one side is screwed to cluster housing, the other is a sheet metal screw from the front side of the dash framework through the threaded hole on the bottom of the wiper switch bracket.

-dash is grounded to car through the large mounting bolts on both sides at the bottom.

Regarding the headlight switch, not sure if it requires a ground, but the threaded nut that you screw through the dash panel and into the switch may ground it.

I have attached a few pics similar to those already provided, but might have a few different details.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230731_224322.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	617180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230731_224412.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	617181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230731_224711.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	617182  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 07-31-2023 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=830000
I've called the yellow circled part a dash harness gutter.

I searched dash gutter
Harness gutter
Gauge gutter
Etc.

Not sure the actual name.

Do you know if the cigarette lighter and headlight switches have any special ground straps?

Old 07-31-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
The manual refers to the plastic channel as a "wiring conduit". I have never seen these reproduced, and usually they are cracked or split where they attach to the brackets. I had 4 used ones from parts cars over the years and only 1 was worth using on my restoration. Might find one in the parts wanted section.

You are correct, only 2 tabs are required to mount that conduit to the top of the cluster.

The Inline Tube grounding kit if for multiple years and you don't need all 3 for your car (at least I did not on mine). I can't find a good picture of my dash before installation to confirm, but I think on my 70 I only used 1 or 2 straps. For sure 1 was left unused.

Here is my take of the ground path starting at the clock:

-clock grounds to main cluster through straight full size strap

-main cluster gets grounded to dash frame through wiper switch bracket (one side is screwed to cluster housing, the other is a sheet metal screw from the front side of the dash framework through the threaded hole on the bottom of the wiper switch bracket.

-dash is grounded to car through the large mounting bolts on both sides at the bottom.

Regarding the headlight switch, not sure if it requires a ground, but the threaded nut that you screw through the dash panel and into the switch may ground it.

I have attached a few pics similar to those already provided, but might have a few different details.

Your answer I believe is 100% correct. I also think the cigarette lighter grounds itself to the dash when the cup it tightened around it.

I am just unsure of the headlight switch. But you may be correct on that also.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cigarette lighter is grounded through the assembly by virtue of the metal outside piece threading onto the inner piece and snug against the metal dash frame.

Quite amazing that there isn't more grounding issues the way everything is just bonded together and grounded through the way things are mounted.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...