Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-20-2024, 08:36 PM

Default 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix sway bar install

Hi guys:
I looked in my manual to r and r my front swaybar. It says to unbolt the inside lower control arm bushings on one side...
Is this the only way?
Thanks.
Ciao,
Mario64

Old 03-20-2024, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you putting the same bar back on? If not you can cut the bar to remove it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:59 PM

Thank you for the reply. I have a new larger one to install. I am assuming it has to go on the same way the old came off (without cutting).
Mario64

Old 03-20-2024, 11:30 PM

Yeah, unless you can figure out a way to wiggle the bar out (and the new one in) with the control arm in place, you've got to disconnect it. It's a pain, but probably less than trying to shoehorn the new (oversized) bar in - even if you can manage to get the existing one out.

That said, it may be that with the wheels hanging the arm will pivot down low enough that you could actually wiggle the bar out. You could always try.

Sorry; no practical experience here, as the only time I had my '63 out and back in was with the entire suspension apart, and that was a long time ago.

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 03-21-2024, 11:31 AM

thanks to all for their answers. maybe someone else can chime in with a different idea...
mario64

Old 03-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have no first hand experience with changing a sway bar on a GP, but if you look at how the front underpinnings are designed, it's clear that during manufacture, the sway bar is installed, then the control arms. It appears highly unlikely that you would be able to do this install (especially with a larger bar) without dropping one of the control arms out of the way.

If I was inclined the change the sway bar on this car, I'd probably want to do a rebuild on the entire suspension at the same time, unless I knew for sure that the car absolutely did not need it. Considering the work needed to install the sway bar, now is the time to replace bushings, steering components and shocks while you're in there.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:23 PM

thank you jason:
unfortunately, i saved the sway bar for last only because it was on back order. i proceeded doing all you listed and figured it could be angled in or out. i never realized that pontiac engineers were stupid enough to design a replaceable part without major disassembly of large parts. kind of like taking out the engine to replace the transmission or visa versa.
at least all the bolts are nice and clean, lolol.
thanks all.
mario64

Old 03-21-2024, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My ‘63 now has an 1 1/8” Addco front bar and it fits very tight. It was installed before any suspension parts were installed. I can’t imagine installing it without both control arms out of the way. As for the “engineering” aspect, there was really no reason at the time these cars were made to ever remove the front sway bar.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario64 View Post
thank you jason:
unfortunately, i saved the sway bar for last only because it was on back order. i proceeded doing all you listed and figured it could be angled in or out. i never realized that pontiac engineers were stupid enough to design a replaceable part without major disassembly of large parts. kind of like taking out the engine to replace the transmission or visa versa.
at least all the bolts are nice and clean, lolol.
thanks all.
mario64
They probably never intended a sway bar to need replacing. At least not without other components being replaced at the same time, like via an accident. The bar itself, made from a high carbon spring steel would likely outlive the rest of the car. The mounts and rubber isolators are in a position where they can be serviced.

Definite bummer that the bar was on back order. That being the case however you should be dealing with new or refurbished fasteners and bushings that shouldn't fight you all that hard.

It's nice when companies think about modability, but it's not always practical.

Looking at some photos of underside of a 64 GP, the way I would tackle this would be to disassemble one side of the suspension nearly completely. If you have use of a 2 post lift, that's going to help as well. If not, get the front end as high off the ground as you safely can.

Lift the car, then remove the wheels followed by removing the shock on one side. Unhook the sway bar at both control arms next. I would then split the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle and remove the spring on the side you removed the shock from. From there, remove the forward lower control arm bushing bolt and let the lower control arm pivot on the rear control arm bushing. If you've used rubber bushings, this should provide you with enough droop to allow you to remove and fish out the old sway bar. If you used a solid bushing, you may need to completely remove that side lower control arm.

The process is then reversed for getting the new sway bar in. If you're using rubber bushings in the control arms, make sure to retorque to spec with the weight of the car on the suspension.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:26 PM

Jason:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's the way I see it happening also.
Mario64

Old 03-21-2024, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced the bar on my former 64 Bonneville with a later bar. I cut the original out and drilled 4 new holes

Old 03-21-2024, 08:16 PM

Thank you steve. That is worth a look-see. It'll take me a few weeks to get under it, but I will update the procedure.
Mario64

Old 03-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason I mentioned cutting the old one was because I had seen aftermarket thick bars that did NOT go between the control arms and the frame. Have you read the installation instructions for the new one yet?

Old 03-21-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Have you read the installation instructions for the new one yet?
No, not yet. Still in the box. A couple of weeks before I can start.
Thanks.
Mario64

Old 04-10-2024, 11:39 AM

goatrcer:
the directions are not specific. they say to remove the factory bar and replace it with the enclosed hardware. still not able to get under the car yet.
mario64