THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Thanks! Same, I built it just like my dream car back in high school (obviously big rims, road race suspension. 5speed) weren’t a thing in the 80’s but wanted to keep it relevant! She’s a really nice car but it deserves more than 1 weekend at Woodward and I’m just not a car show guy.
Now teleport me with this baby back to cruising the strip for chicks in the 80’s and watch out! Of course the wife wouldn’t appreciate that.
Thanks again for the compliments!
Lol....
I have a 70 formula 400 sitting in limbo right now. Can't decide if I'm going original resto, or making her into my old ride from back in the day.
I'm thinking that I'd have a lot more fun with her looking like the day I drove to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in 1977. I had 9 people in my 72 bird headed to Asbury Park, NJ in July. Yes, It's possible to get 9 teenagers into an old F-bird
Boy/girl in all seats, me driving, my girl on console, and another girl in the back
middle....it helped that I had air shocks!
I believe that was the last concert in NJ for Skynyrd, before the plane crash in the fall of 77 that killed most of the band : (
A lot of memories made that night!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Thanks! Same, I built it just like my dream car back in high school (obviously big rims, road race suspension. 5speed) weren’t a thing in the 80’s but wanted to keep it relevant! She’s a really nice car but it deserves more than 1 weekend at Woodward and I’m just not a car show guy.
Now teleport me with this baby back to cruising the strip for chicks in the 80’s and watch out! Of course the wife wouldn’t appreciate that.
Thanks again for the compliments!
Several of my cars I have because they were my dream cars 35 years ago. Cars I saw that were owned by people I had a connection to in my teenage years. Interesting to think that if those people had different cars back then, maybe I would not have the same vehicles I have today. impressions like that were absolutely huge in a 17 year olds eyes. My friends & I used to drive around all the time with no destination. So many edge of town roads to be explored & maybe a couple of corner to corner races along the way with other kids doing the same thing. There were a lot of us back then & those races actually happened more than a person would think today.

The majority of the kids today have social media to explore & the cars they drive just get them somewhere, not an extension of who they are. Its sadly not like the anymore. I'm guessing if we all had iphones back then it would have been more like it is today, but I would not trade that for one second. barely had enough money for gas & insurance, but had an absolute blast with my friends & hanging out in & around our cars. Just looking for an excuse to drive somewhere.

Once & a while I still go for a cruise thinking about those days, but its definitely not the same feeling. Those years are un duplicatable.

My very first car was a 1973 Pinto. bought it in 1983 with a decent fender bender & it had to be towed. Paid a whopping $50 for it. about half of junk yard price back then I suppose. Just amazed my parents let me do that back then. Fixed it up & sold it 6 months later for a decent profit & bought my first of many to come GM v8 cars

Kinda derailed the thread a little here, but your comment about cruising & racing in the 80's hit it on the head for me.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-03-2020, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interestingly enough my dad sent me a few cars off Facebook marketplace last night that all seemed pretty reasonable.

56 Chieftain- 11k
62 Tempest 6k
63 LeMans very 8k

Still- none of these are what I would call extremely desirable.

I am going to the Mecum auction in Houston today so it will be interesting to see what cars sell for- or if they sell.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
Several of my cars I have because they were my dream cars 35 years ago. Cars I saw that were owned by people I had a connection to in my teenage years. Interesting to think that if those people had different cars back then, maybe I would not have the same vehicles I have today. impressions like that were absolutely huge in a 17 year olds eyes. My friends & I used to drive around all the time with no destination. So many edge of town roads to be explored & maybe a couple of corner to corner races along the way with other kids doing the same thing. There were a lot of us back then & those races actually happened more than a person would think today.

The majority of the kids today have social media to explore & the cars they drive just get them somewhere, not an extension of who they are. Its sadly not like the anymore. I'm guessing if we all had iphones back then it would have been more like it is today, but I would not trade that for one second. barely had enough money for gas & insurance, but had an absolute blast with my friends & hanging out in & around our cars. Just looking for an excuse to drive somewhere.

Once & a while I still go for a cruise thinking about those days, but its definitely not the same feeling. Those years are un duplicatable.

My very first car was a 1973 Pinto. bought it in 1983 with a decent fender bender & it had to be towed. Paid a whopping $50 for it. about half of junk yard price back then I suppose. Just amazed my parents let me do that back then. Fixed it up & sold it 6 months later for a decent profit & bought my first of many to come GM v8 cars

Kinda derailed the thread a little here, but your comment about cruising & racing in the 80's hit it on the head for me.
That makes two of us with the derailing thing!
But I remember those days as well !!

Old 12-03-2020, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I have two observations from the Mecum Houston auction.

1- prices are definitely up. People were bidding pretty strong on everything except square body Chevy trucks which I thought was odd.

2-never buy based off the pictures. On the four cars I was interested today I was severely let down by the condition and my top bid dropped significantly on all of them but in each case an internet bidder (that I assume didn’t see it in person) ran it up higher than it should have been.

There was a 2014 6 cyl Challenger I was looking at for my daughter. I think clean retail was about 12k, average trade was 8500. This car was rough. Dings and peeling paint all over, extra speakers in door panels, smoker car, did not look like it had been wrecked, but looked as though it might have spent 6 months in an impound yard. There was some switch with wires coming out from under an AC vent.... I figured it would go for 5k. It was the color she wanted and I would have to be ready to spend 1000 in paint work immediately.

Sold for $9900 to an internet bidder!

There was a 2012 V6 mustang that came with aftermarket wheels. Looked worth checking out online. Interior was trashed and seats were torn up. Paint was awful- 4 different shades of red and all kinds of issues. Decals looked like they were in a desert for 40 years. No panels lined up (the gas door was off by 1/2”!) and the 20” wheels were the wrong offset, tires were too small and rims were destroyed! Average trade in was 5800, clean retail was 8000.

This piece of junk sold for 10,500(!) to an internet bidder....