Old 03-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 park-neutral safety switch / no start ?

I am putting back together my '64 tempest 326 after an engine rebuild. This is the first auto tranny car i've done. The car won't start. I think it might be the neutral/ park safety switch because when i jump the two switch wires, the engine will turn over with the ignition switch in the on position (but not in the start position). I can't get the ignition switch to operate correctly, even after jumping the 4 wires. So i figure it's either the ign. switch or the neutral/park safety switch. I'm leaning towards it being the ign. switch. Could it be anything else?

The car is an unmolested low mile example, in fantastic original condition under the hood and dash. I find it difficult to believe the ing. switch could be at fault.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Obviously the wrong connection is being made to the starter. Either it's at the switch or at the starter. Get a wiring diagram to chaeck your connections first. If you don't have one I'll send you what I have.

george

Old 03-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

fixed it. the selector doesn't exactly line up with the indicators. the tranny linkage is probably off some, or maybe the safety switch is going bad.