Old 10-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '64 GTO Interior Light Switch & Turn Signal Indicator

My '64 startup went very well except for two electrical items. First, the interior lights work with the door switches but not with the headlight knob rotated all the way ccw. There is an extra white wire & connector off the main light switch. My wife's '64 has this same short white wire off the light switch, but her interior lights do work by rotating the light switch knob fully ccw. Any ideas?

Second, the green indicator light for the turn signals does not work. I have only the taillights and interior lights connected and the front harness plugged in, but no bulbs in front. Does this green light circuit depend on the front bulbs being in place?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do recall having the turn signal indicator act funny when I did as you have done, no front signals hooked up and had indicator issues. Not sure about the dome lamp though, could just be a bad switch.

Rick

Old 10-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The white wire runs from the interior lights. When you ground that wire the lights come on. When you turn the headlight switch you can see it make the ground connection. If the headlight switch isn't grounded it won't complete the circuit. The switch either has to be mounted to the metal dash or a ground has to be run from the metal frame of the switch to the metal part of the dash.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since there is just one telltale for turn signals in the dash of the 63-66 Lemans series cars, the blinking of that light is dependent upon the entire circuit of wiring + lamps at all 4 corners of the car to flash on and off.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Peter, Thank you for the info. I can rest a little easier until I get the front lights hooked up. Now that I solved the interior light switch issue, I've got a little more confidence. The horn relay even works!!

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan