Old 10-10-2014, 04:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default "Green horn"... 1974 Trans Am

I've been working on replacing the wiring in my '74 TA. I'm re assembling the turn signal and horn. I'm putting that green nylon horn button back on that has the tit (with the little pin spring in it) that sticks up through the locking plate and I don't know what position to put it back in in the slot on the plate. I forgot to take a photo of it when I took it apart.

Thank you,

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 10-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Line up the mark on the steering wheel and the steering shaft as you have the horn contact slide in that slot to line up with the steering wheel.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneasyrider View Post
I've been working on replacing the wiring in my '74 TA. I'm re assembling the turn signal and horn. I'm putting that green nylon horn button back on that has the tit (with the little pin spring in it) that sticks up through the locking plate and I don't know what position to put it back in in the slot on the plate. I forgot to take a photo of it when I took it apart.

Thank you,
The horn button mounts at the 10 o'clock position. The L-shaped cutout in the locking plate fits over it with the long part of the cutout pointing at 9 o'clock so the opening is directly above a Phillips head screw for the turn signal lever. The other part of the cutout accommodates the button.

1971 Trans Am, White/Blue
455 YC Block with Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, 10-10.5 estimated CR, E-Performer Plus cam (soon to be 041 + Rhoads), Comp Cams 1.65:1 roller tip rockers, E-Performer Aluminum Intake (soon to be topped by a FiTech EFI), TRW forged pistons, Hedman Husler Headers, 3" dual exhaust with Flow Master mufflers.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys! That helps a bunch!

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 10-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's interesting the things you find when taking an old car apart. The blinker hadn't cleared itself since my buddy first bought the car in 1984 and the horn hadn't worked and the steering wheel lock wasn't very effective. At some point the wiring had a melt down and in doing the repair the former owners had screwed up the way the horn button and locking plate went on and forced the it all into the wrong position. The locking mechanism is still not right, they must have broken it but when I get her powered back up the thing might have a horn for the first time in 30 plus years. We'll see, next weekend I'm hoping to fire her back up. Looking at it makes me wonder if the car was either attempted to be stolen or was actually stolen at some point. the title is clear so it might have been recovered. Given that my buddy bought the car for $1,500 in 1984 and it only had about 50,000 miles on it and two owners I wonder...

― Socrates
― Plato