Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I wouldn't stop doing business with Canadians over this. I would stop doing business with FedEx. You are in no way responsible for paying import duties/taxes.
You are 100% correct FedEx drop the ball 'Big time!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM

Everytime I have bought parts in the US I have had to pay all brokerage, duty or taxes when it was delivered by UPS.
Maybe Fed Ex doesn't collect on delivery because you have an account with them, they probably collect when shipper doesn't have an account.
Just a thought.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My younger brother gets packages all the time, and he's never been able to accept one before the duties/taxes are paid. NO exceptions.

If you ask me, they screwed up and now they're trying to bluff their way out of it. Call 'em, and mention that as the broker they're required to comply with Canada Customs' rules and regulations. See if they want this "incident" investigated...
Quote:
The Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) is a civil penalty regime that secures compliance with customs legislation through the application of monetary penalties. AMPS authorizes the CBSA to assess monetary penalties for non-compliance with customs legislative, regulatory and program requirements.
AMPS applies to contraventions of the Customs Act and the Customs Tariff and the regulations under these Acts, as well as contraventions of the terms and conditions of licensing agreements and undertakings.
The CBSA may impose monetary penalties based on the type, frequency, and severity of the infraction. Most penalties are graduated and will take the compliance history of the client into consideration. AMPS does not impact businesses who comply with customs requirements.
Quoted from: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../menu-eng.html

Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We ship 3-4 times a week to our Canuck brethren - always use USPS.com Make sure you mark the item description "antique auto parts" , then they will drop everything and run like hell to get the stuff where it belongs... :D

Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressy
Everytime I have bought parts in the US I have had to pay all brokerage, duty or taxes when it was delivered by UPS.
Maybe Fed Ex doesn't collect on delivery because you have an account with them, they probably collect when shipper doesn't have an account.
Just a thought.

Actually the explanation I was given by Fed ex when I called was that its their policy with ground shipments,but not express.
I tend to agree with you one the part about having an account that they can then back charge but I did ask that and the representative told me I couldnt collect it up front because there was no way I would know how much it is.
Just curious in Canada isnt this a form of tax evasion? In the USA it would be.
I now see 2 guilty parties one that didnt collect and one that didnt pay.
Scarebird are the "antique auto parts" exempt from duties and fees?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This sucks but the only way you will get satisfaction in this matter is to step it up. Start asking to talk to the supervisor or the fed-ex customs broker. Dont be afraid to ask lots of questions and make sure you get names and write everything down. Gona take some time but they will get sick of hearing form you and you will get justice.

I still think it is wrong for them to just drop a package without collecting duty fees and taxes.
If the guy on the recieving end refused to pay then Fed-Ex should not have given him the goods.
If you were to go straight to the border to pick up a package there is no way in hell they would release it without having collected the taxes and duty.

Start raisin sh#$

The Following User Says Thank You to niceta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are NO duties on auto parts manufactured in the US or Canada new or used

Old 02-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes you are correct hawk I meant to say there is only GST, PST(where applicable) and brokrage fees.

The Following User Says Thank You to niceta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Suspended

just a word up Fed ex is in some hot water with the IRS for some otherstuff , mostly about taxes involving employees , it seems there legal department is writing there own rules . IMO I would get Canadian customs involved and the Us ICC involved . Fed ex screwed up and making you pay for there mistake of not collecting tarriffs at POD . ( if a complaint is filed with the Icc it goes against there record and they get audited if enough complaints are made) Us customs and Canadian Customs investigators are no fun to deal with .

Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk
There are NO duties on auto parts manufactured in the US or Canada new or used

Heres the breakdown
Duty 0.00
GST-CUSTOMS 35.23
Brokerage 48.00
PST 0.00
Duty Disbursment 5.85

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2008, 11:57 AM

When ever i received an item from the US i had too pay all fees before i would get the item. However the problem, the person should pay it too you because he knows he owes these fees. As far as not shipping too Canadians thats your loss because there are lots of others that will.....good luck

Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll say one thing,it's not cheap to ship to Canada:eek: .I have 6 box's as i posted before.Its going to be aboot:canada: ;) $450 USD.I'm lucky i don't have to pay the shipping :clap3: .

Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The taxes are the week link here.......

Call the a$$hole here and tell him you are going to file a complaint to "Rev Canada" for tax evasion.....Ask him if he really wants a tax audit because your going to do everything in your power to make sure he gets a nasty one....Tell him your going to state the taxes haven't been paid and "Revenue Canada" will be brought to the table unless he pays the outstanding fees immediately.......

If he still refuses, simply state to Revenue Canada that there are some parts that have been delivered to XXXXXXXX of yyyyy address and the buyer hasn't paid their GST and PST on the parts purchased........If you want to play really dirty, just state he hinted about possibly reflecting a lower sale price for tax purposes at the boarder and that you refused to play along..............Once stated/reported, the Canadian revenue agency "Must" investigate!!!!

BTW FYI, if these guys come around they don't just stop there.............Generally they will do a full blown audit on buddy and all of his overall accounting practices.....God help him if that happens....

YOU WILL GET PAID because he can't prove to them that he's paid the taxes on the parts....make sure he knows this in the discussion you have with him....

Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Senior Chief

As all the other Canadians have said here, you are not responsible in any way for paying those taxes. The receiver is. I have had many pieces shipped here, and again, as all the others have said, there is no way I get my package until it's all been paid.

Fedex is trying to stick it to you, no doubt.

Carl

Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6
Heres the breakdown
Duty 0.00
GST-CUSTOMS 35.23
Brokerage 48.00
PST 0.00
Duty Disbursment 5.85
As a visitor you can have any GST (Goods and Service Tax) from your purchases refunded, but you never bought anything from Canada. BTW, it's also 5%, so if that varies from your total... I'd wager that the action FedEx is taking is illegal.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 AM

The receiver of these parts in Canada should not be hasseled over this. If there was additional fees for him to pay he would have had to pay them before the package was left with him.
The problem here is with Fed Ex, although I am not an expert I have shipped and received hundreds of items to and from the States. I have used all the shipping companies, FedEx, UPS, DHL, Purolatar, USPS and Canada Post and the ONLY shippers that don't sting you for additional fees at the time of delivery are USPS and Canada Post-provided the package is labelled as antique or used auto parts.

All the other shippers have brokerage fees, duties, taxes, transportation sur-charges ect and the person that pays those charges is determined by the shipper (not the shipping co).
In the shipping docs. there is a small box that when left un-checked allows any extra charges to be defered back to the shipper, when or if the box is checked off the charges become the receivers responsibility.
It is also very hard to use these companies when you have an account with them because it seems to give them free right to tack extra charges onto your account at any time for any reason. I had a UPS account and every month when I thought I had my account paid off they would apply some other crazy charge toward it.

The best way I have found to avoid things like this happening are: use either USPS or Canada Post (depending on your Country) for your shipping, pay cash so there is no way they can add additional charges to the shipment and label the box as long as containing used auto parts- as stated above, there are no duties on auto parts entering or leaving the U.S.
My suggestion to try and resolve this problem is to focus your efforts on FedEx and their extra billing practises.

Brian Scoles.

1971 Firebird 350
1968 Camaro convert.
1981 Mazda RX7 GSL
1941 Packard coupe convert.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Humm so you are suggesting that the person who bought the items shouldnt pay their share of taxes?Theres over $40 worth of fees that are not Fed Ex related.Yes it was declared as used auto parts.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pontiac1976 Send a message via AIM to Pontiac1976 Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiac1976

Quote:
"Importer" always pays the "import" duty ,to all countries...if FedEx "forgot" to collect its their problem....
you didnt have to pay an "export duty" you Exported the item!
I`d call FedeX office! or the customs...

I think that the work at fedex did that or filled out a fourm out wrong. They stiff there self trying to get there money back from you. They should eat it up if they still want you to use them.
Are you selling as a company or as a privet. That would make a bit of diference on fourms.
just my two cents. Because ever time I have got stuff from usa were duty taxes are add they will give you a bill there and then before they give you the part. ups,fedex, post office.
Is the bill from the border or the fedex I would call fedex send the bill to fedex!. I would call border duty ask them what up.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 PM

I think you should find out more about this "duty tax". To my knowledge there is either a duty or a tax but I've never heard of duty tax. If it is Canadian tax - provincial sales tax or goods and service tax (PST or GST) you as an American cannot be expected to pay it. If it is a duty or brokerage fee imposed by FedEx then I think that FedEx should eat it because you were not properly informed on how to fill out the customs docs.

I'm not trying to start something here, I believe you have done nothing wrong and I think the person that received the package has done nothing wrong, if these fees are taxes then the Canadian should pay (God Bless Canada and being taxed to death). I think this is an example of a big company trying to bully a small customer because they're assuming that you as a shipper know all the in and outs of shipping internationaly and because you may not they are trying to persuede you into paying these unexpected costs. Costs that you should have been informed about by FedEx as you were doing the customs documents.
Brian.

1971 Firebird 350
1968 Camaro convert.
1981 Mazda RX7 GSL
1941 Packard coupe convert.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look back a few posts
I listed all the fees and costs as listed when Fed Ex billed me.