Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Default AIR Pump on '66 Lemans...

Greetings! I'm the new owner of a single owner '66 Lemans, bone stock, my first question (many more to follow) is this - how do I disconnect the AIR Pump, is it needed, what does it do, etc etc. Also - got a good cam suggestion for that 326? Thanks - Paul

Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being from California I don't think you can change anything LEGALLY.When I lived in Mo I bought a 389 from a Catalina that had the smog pump.All you have to do is remove the pump and install a pipe plug in the end of the head.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry
Greetings! I'm the new owner of a single owner '66 Lemans, bone stock, my first question (many more to follow) is this - how do I disconnect the AIR Pump, is it needed, what does it do, etc etc. Also - got a good cam suggestion for that 326? Thanks - Paul
Congrats on your new car! Is it black cherry? that sounds nice, post a pic!
I wouldnt advise disconnecting things that you dont even know what they do! LOL
Get a manual for your car and learn a bit about it before making any modifications or even attempting a tuneup.
Tune to factory specs right now and drive it some to get a feel for what all needs to be done for safety etc. Avoid having a "knowledgeable" friend adjust things by "ear"
Get it running properly in factory trim and then decide on changes.
The air pump is a California only (I believe) smog device to introduce fresh air into the combustion process to lower emissions. If you are in Californa its unlikely you will ever pass a smog test without that pump intact.
As far as a cam, a replacement 066 type cam from Melling or a 2800 cam from summit will work well. How mAny miles on that motor? Opening a high mileage motor for a cam swap can be a real can of worms unless you are prepared to do a complete rebuild. One worn part leads to another.
enjoy

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

BVR421, I believe here in California smog checks are not required on vehicles that are pre 70's.

I had one of the AIR pumps on my 67 bird, i took it off, put a cap in the head. and bought a new belt. all done. its probably a 3-5 hp difference not that you would notice a kick in the pants, but if you dont need it ditch it.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM

Lightbulb

Any '75 or older vehicle doesn't get smogged here in CA. Put whatever you want under the hood.

But laws can always change, so hang on to any of the AIR stuff that you remove, you might need it in the future.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The holes in the head that can be plugged with a pipe plug are located behind the alternator/power steering and the air pump brackets, cast aluminum brackets which you'll have to remove to install the plugs.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Blackcherry is my '67 400 Firebird 'Vert (burgundy w/black top & interior, hence the name) I've had for 3 years, so I'm not exactly new to the hobby. The LeMans has 139K on the engine, "was rebuilt a while ago" (how many times have we heard THAT?!?) but she runs GREAT other than the tranny (auto) slipping after she's warmed up. I'll post some pix, she's white w/red interior - very clean. Being in California, it seems I can't even change my mind legally - we're overregulated here, thanks to all the stupid liberals and Hollywood types. Thanks for your replies!!!

Old 09-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Chief

Amen to the last part