Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Default 30th anniversary TA convertible 6spd

I am looking for a 1999 30th 6sp convertible.
I have been looking on and off for a while. I know about the one currently on EBAY. They are, in my opinion, high in price at 35k. I spoke to the previous owner and they paid 27k to him and gave him a cock and bull story about it being for a retired Dad, but it somehow ended up at this dealer within a week!!!

so, I am a cash buyer, for a 1999 30th ann conv. 6spd. No stories, no accidents. I want one that is in great shape with low miles and all the docs!!

I am a serious, cash waiting buyer if you want to let your nice piece go in a down market. This one with 5k miles on it traded for 27k, I am willing to pay a good bit more than that.

Lets talk,

JOHN

Old 06-20-2008, 12:06 AM

John:

There' a dealer in Angola, not far from me, that has one. It's called Smitty's and he did have it on ebay a couple of months ago and it didn't sell. He told me high 20s would buy it.

Ed

Old 06-20-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969z280 View Post
John:

There' a dealer in Angola, not far from me, that has one. It's called Smitty's and he did have it on ebay a couple of months ago and it didn't sell. He told me high 20s would buy it.

Ed
what state? do you have a #? And is it a 6sp convertible?

Thanks for the help!!

JOHN

Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 AM

John:

Angola, Indiana. The place is called Smitty's, he's a small late model local car dealer. Yes, it is a six speed.

Ed

Old 06-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHorsepower View Post
what state? do you have a #? And is it a 6sp convertible?

Thanks for the help!!

JOHN

It's not a convertible.

http://www.smittysusa.com/

Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 AM

BUMP

Quote:
I am looking for a 1999 30th 6sp convertible.
I have been looking on and off for a while. I know about the one currently on EBAY. They are, in my opinion, high in price at 35k. I spoke to the previous owner and they paid 27k to him and gave him a cock and bull story about it being for a retired Dad, but it somehow ended up at this dealer within a week!!!

so, I am a cash buyer, for a 1999 30th ann conv. 6spd. No stories, no accidents. I want one that is in great shape with low miles and all the docs!!

I am a serious, cash waiting buyer if you want to let your nice piece go in a down market. This one with 5k miles on it traded for 27k, I am willing to pay a good bit more than that.

Lets talk,

JOHN

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
BUMP
Post-Mecum, down market, lousy economy I still want my 6sp conv. 30th TA bump

Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Post-Mecum, down market, lousy economy I still want my 6sp conv. 30th TA bump

What's up bud?
My buddy in Park Ridge bought that one 30th vert Hurst M6 last year,and it now has 4k miles.
I think he's gonna want more than 35k though.

1968 442-gone but not forgotten
"Oh,you can think about it,.....but don't do it!"
Sheriff Bufford T.Justice
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Son73T/A View Post
What's up bud?
My buddy in Park Ridge bought that one 30th vert Hurst M6 last year,and it now has 4k miles.
I think he's gonna want more than 35k though.

yea, beautiful car! I spent some time with him at the Uprising. I got some great shots of it as well. I remember considering that car and wish i had pursued it. At the time, he wanted more than it eventually traded at. Oh well, I will keep looking...............park ridge needs 2

Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
yea, beautiful car! I spent some time with him at the Uprising. I got some great shots of it as well. I remember considering that car and wish i had pursued it. At the time, he wanted more than it eventually traded at. Oh well, I will keep looking...............park ridge needs 2
Really?,I didn't run into you at the show?,both our cars were indoors.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Son73T/A View Post
Really?,I didn't run into you at the show?,both our cars were indoors.
I brought my silver 70 Judge RA III 4 spd. It was a big event. I also was with my wife and 3.5 year old son. I met a few guys from the site, they had a tent right down the row from me.

John

Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
I brought my silver 70 Judge RA III 4 spd. It was a big event. I also was with my wife and 3.5 year old son. I met a few guys from the site, they had a tent right down the row from me.

John
Got pics from the show of your car?
Were you near the Pontiac Expo trailer?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM

I have wrestled with outing this car ( the one on ebay out of Texas) but I finally decided, I would hope someone would warn me. So here goes. The following is correspondence with someone very familiar with GM and with 30th TAs. I am not stating anything as fact, but this info would make me want to research before buying.

John

Hi John- Out of curiosity, I ran a VISS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System Summary) on the VIN of the Texas 30th TA that you have been looking at on ebay. I was wondering about the Canadian Headlights but found something much more interesting. That car is a GM Customer Dissatisfaction Buyback. Even more curious is the claim history. Here's what I found out. The car was PDI'd (PreDelivery Inspected) on 01-22-1999. That means is arrived at the dealer and was prepped for sale. It was sold by Bob Howard Buick Pontiac GMC in Oklahoma Cityon 03-03-1999. It was repurchased from the customer by GM on 12-01-1999 (with 3000 miles on it!). It was then purchased by another owner on 06-24-2000 (with 654 miles on it!). In between the repurchase date and the second sale date, it had a warranty claim made for a right-side sunshade replacement on 05-13-2000 and it had 1305 miles! What happens with dissatisfaction buybacks is that they are taken to GM Factory"Program" auctions and sold to GM dealers. The process requires full disclosure to the ultimate customer, meaning that the dealer can not obtain the title to the vehicle until the customer signs a disclaimer stating that they understand that the vehicle is a buyback. Sometimes, this gets "laundered" when a vehicle changes hands a couple of times (whether it actually changes hands or not, if you get my drift). This smells like there-selling dealer rolled the mileage back to make it look like a "like new" car, and to hide it's history. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but it doesn't take a genius to do the math on this one. And, sadly, the former owner that you talked to may not have a clue - he's probably the sucker. I'd certainly get a CarFax on this car and an owner history to contact the original owner to see what was wrong to make GM take it back. Then I'd get real curious about the odometer. The ebay description says the tires have 50%tread. With only 5K miles, that's a lot of wear. But the GM Claim History states that the mileage was 3000 on 12-01-1999 and only 654 on 06-24-2000. That mileage went the wrong way. And you don't have to take my word for it. Take the VIN to any GM dealer and ask for a VISS on the VIN number. They can print it out for you or I'll be happy to fax you a copy of this info. Bottom line, beware of that car. Something "fishy" has gone on and someone's not telling the truth (or just doesn't know). I hope this information is helpful.

Below is the first note to me that mentioned his suspicions.

There are a couple of things (although minor) that stand out about that car. First, the text refers to the car as having the "dusk sensing" headlights. That was standard and only available on Canadian cars. What it refers to is that when it gets dark, the headlights pop up (and come on). Personally, that's not something that I care about. I want to be able to turn them on when I want them on - maybe drive with the headlights down and the fog lamps on. But the odd thing tome is that there is no mention about this being a Canadian-market car. Also, John, the Firebird emblem between the taillights is wrong for a 30th. A 30th TA has a "solid white" bird. Regular Trans Ams have the outlined bird (like this car has). I don't see any floor mats, and 30thTrans Am's have the 30th emblem embroidered on the front mats. Replacing these can be fairly expensive. They may be there and just not shown. The front license plate cover is missing, although not as big a deal since some states require a front plate and getting a replacement won't be too tough. I also noticed that the serial number (VIN) tag on the door jamb looks like it has been folded on the left side. That's kind of curious looking, and might be completely innocent. Still, it would make me look a little closer for the possibility of previous damage.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Senior Chief

I will sell you a 02' collectors edition 6spd convertable....

Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Chief

How about a T-Top, 6spd car with 9800 miles and ton of paper work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	147637  

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmrk View Post
How about a T-Top, 6spd car with 9800 miles and ton of paper work
thanks guys, but I am set on a 6sp convertible 99 30th car. I have a 69 htp and I think they would make a great pair.

John

Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Chief

There is plenty of them out there but you will probably have to pay over 30gs for one. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs4ever1971 View Post
There is plenty of them out there but you will probably have to pay over 30gs for one. Good luck.

For a mint, well documented, low mile 6pd , conv. I will happily pay over 30!

just not 40, and not 33 for one that has been returned for being a lemon and then the history gets blurry...............

John

Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Chief

I think most of the conv. are back up to msrp and then some. I will keep my eyes open.