Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2022, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd also add that if you are using a 9 keyway set make sure that each time you move to a new keyway you will need to go up to the tooth above the keyway then count two back to the left for a new reference point to line up with the "dot" on the cam gear.

I've seen some very experienced engine "builders" screw that deal all up and move to a new lower keyway then end up using the wrong mark on the lower sprocket to line up with the dot on the upper one.

Early versions of the Rollmaster were NOT marked and you had to use a magic or paint market to keep yourself honest. Degreeing a cam is a big enough of a PITA right to start with without additional confusion caused by the parts you are trying to use......FWIW.......

As for those 3 keyway variety I tried messing with them a few times and when I moved to the 4 degree advance or retard positions they weren't even close to where I wanted to be so I gave up on them. In contrast the Rollmaster 9 keyway sets and dead nuts on the money for moving the cam, if you are at 110ICL and move to the 4 degree advanced keyway you are going to be right at 106ICL when you set things back up to check it.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),