Old 08-22-2022, 03:51 PM

Default 2022 Trans Am Nationals

I have not seen any posts about the T/A Nats , anyone going ?

Old 08-22-2022, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure. Last year was a joke.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-22-2022, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Not sure. Last year was a joke.
Just curious why you say that. I was there last year and almost 500 cars! I thought it was pretty impressive. It was my first time there so maybe they normally get much more?

Old 08-22-2022, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s at a new location, the swap was here’re and there and behind the hotel. They gave the purse people prime spots over parts vendors
Ive been going since the early 90’s. Last year was the worst. There's hardly any swap anymore, they need a new site. I know 3 parts guys who no longer go.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 08-24-2022, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nope, I aint since Im f - body less but maybe next year (if he sells)

Old 08-24-2022, 08:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m going but only in the morning- have to be back in Houston on Sunday and latest flight out of DAY is 2:40

Old 08-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live in Dayton, OH, where it is held. I was very "Turned Off' by the event about 10 years ago. I drove my 68 400 4-speed convertible, show quality car to the event and was turned away at the gate! A very snobbish worker said "you can park that car out in the spectator lot, that's not a Trans Am". I was taken back by that comment and just drove it home. I also contacted organizers one year about bringing the Boss Bird to the event. Didn't want any special treatment, but wanted to make sure we could unload it and get it on display without a giant hassle. They showed little to no interest in having the fastest Trans Am ever in their show or event. Now as a Trans Am owner again, i will probably go take a look and see if the attitude has changed any. If I want to belong to an "elite club" I would go buy a Porsche. That's been my experience.

Old 08-25-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I used to attend the T/A nats when my wife, and I were selling T Shirts, the whole thing was pretty political. I have no idea of what it's like since I last attended 10 years ago.

There has been attempts over the years to bring some racing to the event, but they seem to be much more interested in the Saturday evening drive to Tipp City, than any performance event.

There is a reason they earned the nickname lawn chair nationals, seems most are F body fans, not Pontiac fans, and could care less about what the engine lineage is under the hood. Just my own observations going back to the 2005-2012 era.

The traditional shirts that sold well at all the other Pontiac events we attended, didn't sell well at all at the T/A nationals. If the shirt had a bird on it. it would sell well, if it referred to the Stratostreak powerplant, I would sell one or two shirts during the whole weekend. Definitely a different atmosphere than most Pontiac events we had attended. They also had the most expensive swap meet, and vendor rates of any event we attended. Last time it was $70 for one space.

Like Mike, I live within a half hour drive of the show, but since we stopped selling T shirts, I don't bother to attend it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-25-2022, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, myself and several of our friends were founding members of the Trans Am Club back in the early 80's. When it became apparent that the club agenda was being dominated by parades and car shows, with zero interest in the performance aspects of Firebirds, we quietly dropped out; and bear no ill will toward the on-going agenda.

I'm happy that the nationals exists in our backyard, but had never had any interest in going until last year; when I went with the specific mission of chatting with Herb Adams about my Firebird road racer project. I'll go again this year (Saturday only) with that same singular mission.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-25-2022, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are having a unofficial test and tune at the drag strip on Thursday

Old 08-25-2022, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be at Kil Kare Dragway in Xenia, OH. That's their regular Thursday night test and tune. Track had been updated and race surface is excellent on a race day. Should be decent for moderate level cars on test and tune. The mix of street tires and slicks is a challenge for the crew. It can get very crowded if the weather is great. In that case, 2-3 runs would be a good evening there. If you don't do any cooling or tuning, you can probably get 5 runs in.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I live in Dayton, OH, where it is held. I was very "Turned Off' by the event about 10 years ago. I drove my 68 400 4-speed convertible, show quality car to the event and was turned away at the gate! A very snobbish worker said "you can park that car out in the spectator lot, that's not a Trans Am". I was taken back by that comment and just drove it home. I also contacted organizers one year about bringing the Boss Bird to the event. Didn't want any special treatment, but wanted to make sure we could unload it and get it on display without a giant hassle. They showed little to no interest in having the fastest Trans Am ever in their show or event. Now as a Trans Am owner again, i will probably go take a look and see if the attitude has changed any. If I want to belong to an "elite club" I would go buy a Porsche. That's been my experience.
I've gone about once every 4 or 5 years for the last 20 years or so. Your experience with the '68 is surprising, as I always recall there being a reasonable number of first gen Birds (that weren't T/As) when I've gone. But I've also seen that the mix of "staff" folks you might run into can range from a very positive to a very negative experience. Probably just the nature of putting on a once-a-year event with what I assume are mostly volunteers.

Weather looks decent for this weekend as of right now, so I may go down just for Saturday, since it's been about 5 years since I was last there...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 08-26-2022, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
I've gone about once every 4 or 5 years for the last 20 years or so. Your experience with the '68 is surprising, as I always recall there being a reasonable number of first gen Birds (that weren't T/As) when I've gone. But I've also seen that the mix of "staff" folks you might run into can range from a very positive to a very negative experience. Probably just the nature of putting on a once-a-year event with what I assume are mostly volunteers.

Weather looks decent for this weekend as of right now, so I may go down just for Saturday, since it's been about 5 years since I was last there...
PM me if you like. It would be nice to meet you in person at the event.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We go almost every year don’t take the cars I personally can’t just sit like that all day gets old real fast. We going check out the cars and swap meet. Its all Firebirds not just Trans Ams never has been in all the years we have gone. Usually about 2 hours unless you want back track some. The show has mix of cars from show quality cars to every day driver cars. Last year to me it seems like the biggest showing is 4th gen birds but just my opinion from being at the show I don’t have numbers.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
My experience with race cars and Pontiac show people is they JUST DON’T GET IT . Those race cars campaigned many years ago are the only reason anyone gives a SH!T about Pontiacs . No wins = no interest.

And I can tell you these shows are for the people showing because most spectators that show up are sick of seeing the same old carbon copy stock Pontiacs all lined up in a row with ZERO variety. Well mine has a 8 track Vs mine has a defog. No spectator cares. They like to see something rare they can’t see everywhere else . Like a display car such as your boss bird or some other old race cars.
Pontiac people appreciate the subtle differences, spectators appreciate the unusual.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 08-26-2022, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Mike, myself and several of our friends were founding members of the Trans Am Club back in the early 80's. When it became apparent that the club agenda was being dominated by parades and car shows, with zero interest in the performance aspects of Firebirds, we quietly dropped out; and bear no ill will toward the on-going agenda.

I'm happy that the nationals exists in our backyard, but had never had any interest in going until last year; when I went with the specific mission of chatting with Herb Adams about my Firebird road racer project. I'll go again this year (Saturday only) with that same singular mission.

Eric
There you have it, another racer turned off… as are MOST true performance guys at these events.

Too much emphasis has been put on preservation of stock appearance and NONE on the souped up, jacked up, cars we all had fun with through the years . I’d like to see some 70s fabulous birds again, And some 60s race cars, and some jacked up sky jacker, street cars w cragars sticking way out on pos-A- traction 50s and a tach on the column w a garter belt around it. Cheesy as hell and oh so cool for burnouts at the school bus stops back in the day!

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 08-26-2022, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
There you have it, another racer turned off… as are MOST true performance guys at these events.

Too much emphasis has been put on preservation of stock appearance and NONE on the souped up, jacked up, cars we all had fun with through the years . I’d like to see some 70s fabulous birds again, And some 60s race cars, and some jacked up sky jacker, street cars w cragars sticking way out on pos-A- traction 50s and a tach on the column w a garter belt around it. Cheesy as hell and oh so cool for burnouts at the school bus stops back in the day!
Looking at the website they have modified and heavy modified classes for all years.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent about 3-4 hours walking the show today. Some really, really nice Firebirds and Trans Ams on display. I would hope so!! But some really rare stuff too. A white 73 SD that was awfully good. same owner since 74. Several nice 74 SD's. A 74 SD formula, 4-speed. Very nice. I have to say something for everybody as far as stock, lightly modified and highly modified. Lots and lots of 4th gen cars. Saw 3 OHC sprints in the show. All still had Q-jets unlike Jay Leno's. Probably 30 or more 69-73 TA's. Vendor area and swap meet was tiny. Probably 5% the size of Norwalk and i may be generous on that.
One car that really got my attention was not a Firebird. Tucked almost out of site behind Herb Adams display trailer was a 1970 GTO Judge. Limelite green with a black interior, 4-speed. It looked for all the world like a completely un-molested, original paint, rust free car. Original interior. Just he way you would want to buy one. What a treat to see that just sitting there being totally ignored.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pics, Pics, Pics either way thanks for the update. Wanted to go but family weekend thus a no go.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't take many pix but here's a couple of the road-race oriented cars close to the VSE display tent.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53F17B3C-A33A-4F4C-9BBE-FDBD5494ECFD.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	597320   Click image for larger version

Name:	7DB0943F-A6F3-4F08-9988-7A62A681065F.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	597321  

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”