Old 09-19-2022, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 403 loose dip stick tube - how to seal.

Hello guys,
I was in replacing the starter on my 79 403 and noticed that the aftermarket dipstick is loose in the block. Has anyone installed one of these?
There are two "ribs" in the tube in addition to a "seat" ring above those. I can run the tube into the block until it hits the first rib and I cant seem to push it down in any further to seat it on the first rib. It reads correctly at this point so I dont think I am suppose to tap it passed that first rib.
It is an aftermarket dipstick tube and has no mounting tab.
There is crud getting inside the tube. The dipstick has no seal at the top either so the crud is probably getting in there.
Can I just seal with silicone or ATV if I clean up the block good and seat it with the ATV.
Or, What can I do to hold it tightly in place?
Do you think I have to press it further into the block so the ribs in the tube help to pressure fit it. If so, I believe I will be too deep into the block to get the correct reading.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you.
Mark

Old 09-19-2022, 06:33 PM
Suspended

There is no mounting tab, the original is also a tap fit into the block.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is there any trick to pressing or tapping the tube into the block - engine is in the car.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:11 AM

I had to grind the tube until it was a snug press fit with hand pressure. Then I cleaned up the surfaces real well and used gasket RTV to seal it.

96 T/A,WS6 (#1344) ,M6
72 442,W30,A3
96 Vette convertible Grand Sport (#713),F45,M6
13 Vette 427 convertible (#1425),Z30/Z25,M6
Old 09-27-2022, 10:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks all for your help- I ended up tapping the tube in by running a very long flat blade screwdriver down along the tube to the "seating" flange on the tube. I rested the screwdriver blade in place against the flange and held it in place while I had my wife tap it down from on top until it bottomed out. It is in there nice now but reads approximately one quart to full (it read right before tapping it down). I have five quarts total with the filter.
It was a good bonding moment with my wife. She is great and it is amazing how my wife has taken a liking to the car after I brought it home without consulting her first and we discuss everything. I brought it home to flip and make a quick $ on it and now she wont let me sell it and is always cautioning me about using care when I am working on it.
She is the reason why I have to get the AC working in it.
I would just drive it without the AC.
So much for making a quick $ on the flip.