Old 09-30-2022, 09:55 PM

Default 403 Olds oil sending unit

Searched old threads but no luck in finding out if any aftermarket company sells the bracket that holds the oil pressure / sending unit shown below? Or was this always a junkyard item or made from scratch if lost? Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220930-204141-889.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	599641  

Old 10-01-2022, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Nice pic

There's a few reasons why they won't reproduce this bracket. It was used in Firebirds only and the small body sender units don't exist that fit them anymore. These were standardised so even the original part number brings up revised larger sender since the 80's.

Depending on where you found my pic, may have also shown that I modified one to fit. One was rebent from a damaged bracket and crush tube added, another was made up from exhaust pipe with flanges welded on. I forget which is currently installed.

The problems don't stop there. Intact extension tunes are rare, and the reproduction tube is too long, and that is to suit a stock sender. Add a standard sender and it's far too long. I also modified one of those.

This all came about when accessory brackets were revised, top hose moved, to look more like a Pontiac engine. On regular Olds, the oil sender pokes out the block front where the alternator now sits.

To aid your search, 77-79 Firebird and TA with Olds engines only, and must have the rally gauge option.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That Olds long 45 deg extension tube with male end actually works pretty well for a Pontiac if you want to pick up the pressure by the distributor. I've had one on my 428 for about 25 years.

And for the OP, that strap should be pretty easy to make from mild steel stock from Home Depot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1232.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	599657  

Old 10-01-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor78 View Post
Nice pic

There's a few reasons why they won't reproduce this bracket. It was used in Firebirds only and the small body sender units don't exist that fit them anymore. These were standardised so even the original part number brings up revised larger sender since the 80's.

Depending on where you found my pic, may have also shown that I modified one to fit. One was rebent from a damaged bracket and crush tube added, another was made up from exhaust pipe with flanges welded on. I forget which is currently installed.

The problems don't stop there. Intact extension tunes are rare, and the reproduction tube is too long, and that is to suit a stock sender. Add a standard sender and it's far too long. I also modified one of those.

This all came about when accessory brackets were revised, top hose moved, to look more like a Pontiac engine. On regular Olds, the oil sender pokes out the block front where the alternator now sits.

To aid your search, 77-79 Firebird and TA with Olds engines only, and must have the rally gauge option.
Ha-sorry I hope it's not copyrighted! It was one of the few pictures I could even find and on 78ta.com.

I appreciate the history and makes sense now that I know the acorn style grew. I do have the original pipe and will start with exhaust pipe flanges, great idea.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
That Olds long 45 deg extension tube with male end actually works pretty well for a Pontiac if you want to pick up the pressure by the distributor. I've had one on my 428 for about 25 years.

And for the OP, that strap should be pretty easy to make from mild steel stock from Home Depot.
Thanks - sounds like homemade is the way to go then. That 45 degree fitting is like >$25 now in the aftermarket world. Luckily there are alternatives at home Depot as well in the brass fitting aisle.

Old 10-01-2022, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scrapped a 79 403 20years ago. Was a hoarder back then.
Remember kept the sending unit with bracket. Had a metal line attached?
Looking for some other parts to sell, will root around see if still have it.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-01-2022, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Some random pics since not sure where I posted previous projects.

This is an original bracket and the exhaust pipe bracket I made to suit standard sender unit. Seems I don't have pics of it after welding up, just installed. Should give an idea of the different body sizes, the pipe still needs to stretch to fit also.

Oil sender brackets stock and larger by Ben, on Flickr

Oil sender brackets larger modification by Ben, on Flickr

Firebird 403 oil pressure sender bracket plated (1) by Ben, on Flickr

Here's another using original bracket that I recurved and rebent but then required a crush tube of sorts. It was fairly mangled out of shape when I found this bracket, later replated. I can't recall which is currently fitted.

Firebird 403 oil pressure sender bracket plated (3) by Ben, on Flickr

I don't have an oil pressure sender tube pic of stock versus reproduction but it was longer than stock, and that was already a fraction long to use with the later version sender body and bracket to align with mounting hole. But here's the stock tube with the modified, now shorter stainless reproduction tube at the bottom. The shorter tube allows the sender to be pulled back past the flange where the bracket wants to sit.

Oil pressure sender tube stock vs modified by Ben, on Flickr

Here's an original small-body sender I picked up, it didn't work, but was good for a sample and about the only one I've seen pop up, along with bracket.

403 Firebird oil sender and bracket 2 by Ben, on Flickr

403 Firebird oil sender and bracket 4 by Ben, on Flickr

Last edited by Trevor78; 10-01-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Scrapped a 79 403 20years ago. Was a hoarder back then.
Remember kept the sending unit with bracket. Had a metal line attached?
Looking for some other parts to sell, will root around see if still have it.
Most appreciated but don't do it just for me! Sounds like I need to build a custom one based on the other posts since I am using a newer version which is bigger. But you are correct, that is the style with a metal line. Maybe great to sell to someone doing numbers matching build.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:28 PM

Can't thank you enough for the information and pics Trevor78. I will go the exhaust clamp route for sure. I do have the original tube and it's in perfect shape. Surprised Pontiac at the time made something so simple this complicated instead of just extending upward.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:41 AM
Suspended

All good, just compare it all when you add the fittings and then the sender on the end which is also a fraction longer, see where the mounting bracket holds it or if needs mods somewhere.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:24 AM
Suspended

Others can feel free to post what they've come up with.