Old 10-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The HSD or tomahawk fits perfect with a shaker. You might even squeeze a .5 spacer. I've used both w/ a drop base and a .5spacer. Qjet carb.

Problem is, my off-idle torque with that intake pales in comparison to one of my modified RPM intakes. I've got a guy that'll mill about .2-.25 off the carb pad and I use the WFO/2 and a qjet. I do NOT have dyno numbers, but the HSD/tomahawk costs me a lot of tire shredding torque in 1st, 2nd gear + over my dual plane.

Just me, but I won't run those single planes w/ a shaker anymore.

And lets face it, shakers are very cool - but I think they cost us HP w/ intake limitations and some issues w/ the drop base aircleaners.. JHMO.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:58 PM

Default Better shaker intake options?

Well looks like changing the intake is not the solution, looking to up the power not hurt it more. Would love to port match mine as it is but I can’t ever seem to find the time between the bird and the fuelie it’s always something more pressing.

I have already chopped up my drop base to get it to a usable point but it needs to go back further but can’t due to the air filter and coming down a 1/2 inch would be killer. For some reason my combo has the carb pretty far forward as well. Gonna talk with blockers and see if they can solve this because a setup with the tapered round filters can’t.

Just hate when $$$ gets diverted from other projects. More gear and a tkx is next up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 10-06-2022, 12:04 AM

Default Better shaker intake options?

Also is there any chance some one can take a measurement for me from the top of the carb to the top of the shaker opening (with a qjet and rpm combo. I have a theory cooking I want to test……. Considering how far I had to chop my drop base to get it to fit into the opening (inches) and it still needs to go back wondering if someone used the wrong motor mounts at some point. This thing was pretty cobbled together when I got it and I’m still suspicious the control arms are not correct.

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember

Last edited by Vroom_vroom; 10-06-2022 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:32 AM

Vroom, You maybe onto something. I had a '78 T/A that had the shaker bolted to underside of hood when I bought it. My quest to return the shaker to the top of the carb started with obtaining a shaker base from a pontiac engine. The car had a 455 pontiac in it, but the car originally was a 403 car. I fitted the pontiac base and still could not get the proper alignment. I started measuring engine placement and comparing them to my '79 400 car. Well, the motor mount brackets that bolt to the block were wrong. A firebird with a pontiac engine uses a specific bracket. The 455 was probably pulled from a large car and dropped into the T/A with the large car engine brackets. I found the proper brackets on ebay, installed them, and all was good.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default pics/year of shaker?

I would not want an intake change just for shaker fit for sure when options are available and the RPM is an excellent intake anyway.

I like the mentioned drop kit from butler. but I like the blocker kit better because you see the intake and carb with the shaker installed and I really like the air filter up top/flat/easy access.

that said i'm not sure your fitment issue is due to the drop base your using. your cars a 77, is it the original shaker? the shaker fit fwd/aft is changed by the metal reinforcement plate attached to the bottom of the shaker.

for many the drawback to the blocker kit is you do have to epoxy the air filter mount to the shaker.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 03:41 PM

I don’t mind epoxying it to the shaker. My car is kinda a bastard anyhow, hell I don’t really know what it started life as. Some redneck thought he was gonna make a “race car” out of it.

Pretty sure my mounts are what they are supposed to be unless it’s a chebby mount it’s not the early poncho style

The bottom of my shaker looks identical but still needs to go back and down for a good fit and I have modded my drop base a lot.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:34 PM

Those look to be the proper block side motor mount brackets.