Old 10-04-2022, 02:31 PM

Default Recommendations wanted for new clutch and flywheel for 461 in 65 GTO.

Help! I need to buy a new clutch and flywheel for my 65 GTO 461. My current setup (American Powertrain) is full of hot spots causing chatter. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Any thoughts on an aluminum flywheel? Thank you.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:25 PM

Default Recommendations wanted for new clutch and flywheel for 461 in 65 GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob prichard View Post
Help! I need to buy a new clutch and flywheel for my 65 GTO 461. My current setup (American Powertrain) is full of hot spots causing chatter. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Any thoughts on an aluminum flywheel? Thank you.

How much are you is that motor pumping out? Running a McLeod super street in a couple different cars at the moment and have been very pleased with them. Pedal isn’t trying to kill my knee and has no problem with shifting at higher rpm.

The prw flywheel (pdx I think) sits a little further out apparently and I had to shim the bell housing a touch. Not a big issue here but I know it will be for some. I guess this is a semi know thing as I have stumbled on others that had the issue. Didn’t effect the starter however so who knows……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 10-04-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My clutch and steel flywheel came from Autozone.
Holds fine, no slip or chatter, plenty of burnouts but no races.
464, 6x-4's, RA IVish cam, 3.73 posi.
Used a Sachs clutch on my 400. bought from ebay. no problems.
Not a recommendation; just sayin.

The Following User Says Thank You to F ROCK For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
How much are you is that motor pumping out? Running a McLeod super street in a couple different cars at the moment and have been very pleased with them. Pedal isn’t trying to kill my knee and has no problem with shifting at higher rpm.

The prw flywheel (pdx I think) sits a little further out apparently and I had to shim the bell housing a touch. Not a big issue here but I know it will be for some. I guess this is a semi know thing as I have stumbled on others that had the issue. Didn’t effect the starter however so who knows……

It was dynoed by Butler at 564 horsepower and 584 torque.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:20 PM

The next one up from them is street extreme good for 700 vs 550 of the super pro. If you drive aggressively or like to race I’d look at a twin disc however.

Not sure how heavy the pressure plate is vs the lesser one but I have always been a fan of there clutches in something that makes power price is usually better than the center force. Looking to swap to there rtx whenever I get around to a new transmission and hitting the track again.

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 10-07-2022, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
The next one up from them is street extreme good for 700 vs 550 of the super pro. If you drive aggressively or like to race I’d look at a twin disc however.

Not sure how heavy the pressure plate is vs the lesser one but I have always been a fan of there clutches in something that makes power price is usually better than the center force. Looking to swap to there rtx whenever I get around to a new transmission and hitting the track again.

Thank you. I’m going to look into the McLeod dual disc.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
My clutch and steel flywheel came from Autozone.
Holds fine, no slip or chatter, plenty of burnouts but no races.
464, 6x-4's, RA IVish cam, 3.73 posi.
Used a Sachs clutch on my 400. bought from ebay. no problems.
Not a recommendation; just sayin.
Thank you for your response.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Boost Engineer

I like the LUK brand of Pressure Plates and Clutches.
High Quality and German Made.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:23 AM

Mcleod RXT dual disc. held up very well when i was running 11s.. Next step up is RXT 1200 HD that I'm using now to hold up to mid 10s so far.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve did you have any noise issues with your RXT twin disc? Running the same in my 64 and the odd time I get what sounds like a release brg noise, but putting into neutral and letting clutch out and stepping on it again, the noise is gone. Kinda weird. Almost thinking the disc is hitting floater plate and chattering causing some noise? Has Hydraulic release system in it. Mcleod. This is mostly street driven.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:56 PM

Bob, no I have not noticed on either clutch and the first one was mechanical, HD1200 i have hydraulic system from Bowler. Only time i had noise was when on the first one I broke the snout off the trans where the release bearing rides. That was immediate shut down and pull.