Old 04-24-2022, 07:39 PM

Default Musty old photos.

For the last seven or eight years I've been writing some short stories on the old muscle cars that used to roam the streets of my south-central Wisconsin town back in the late 1970s and 1980s. So I'm always on the hunt to interview people and check out what they have for old photos. Recently I have acquired some photos of a couple of old 1970 GTO's.

The first photos come from a buddy who I've known for almost 30 years. And for all of that time he's been a hard-core Ford guy. One day I was sitting at his kitchen table going through his photo albums when I was surprised to find some old photos of a black 1970 GTO. "Oh yea," he said, "I owned that car back when I lived in Kenosha around 1980." So I quickly removed the photos and made some scans for myself.

The car was black with a black interior. I think he said it had a 455 engine (confirmed by the displacement callouts on the fender decals) with a four- speed transmission. I think it was a sharp-looking car but some wheel well chrome would have really set it off. Inside, the Pioneer Super Tuner 8-track appears to have been mounted on the console directly underneath another aftermarket radio. My buddy owned the car until one day when it was parked out in front of his apartment (like in the photo). Some guy knocked on his door and offered him a bunch of money. Being a Ford guy, he let the car go away never to be seen again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black GTO #1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	589315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black GTO #2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	589316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black GTO #3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	589317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black GTO #5.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	589318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black GTO #6.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	589319  

Old 04-24-2022, 07:51 PM

The car in this set of photos I do remember. A couple of blocks away from my house lived an older guy (Class of 1977). He was the kind of cool guy we other neighborhood kids looked up to. He was a naturally gifted artist and skateboarder. He was the only one in town with the iconic "Road Rider" skateboard wheels. Around 1980 he bought a 1970 GTO that was a factory Burgundy color. It had a black interior and sported a four-speed transmission. I was still in high school and would just stare at the GTO when it would pass by. He only owned the car for about a year before it was sold and disappeared. Today I'd like to ask the guy a few questions but he died back in 2009 at age 50 of a brain aneurism. His daughter recently shared these photos. It sure was nice to see the car again after all these years. Armed with the photos, I was able to trace the GTO back through three more owners to 1974.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#42 Photo 16.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	589326   Click image for larger version

Name:	#42 Photo 17.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	589327   Click image for larger version

Name:	#42 Photo 18.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	589328  

Old 04-24-2022, 10:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for sharing the photos and memories. Easy to see how they made an indelible mark.