Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-05-2022, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Lower Control Arm Captive Nuts

I'm sure this is a stupid question. I've done a few shock changes over the years on my 1971 Trans Am and by now am missing a few of the captive nuts in the lower control arm that the little beam that goes through the lower shock eye bolts to. It is an incredible pain in the backside trying to hold a nut during install without them.

Does anyone sell replacements? What am I even looking for if I'm looking for a replacement? Has anyone found something that works? Or is it just a matter of trying to find ones from scrapyards?

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 08-05-2022, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My local hardware store actually carries a variety of sizes. They might not be exactly OEM looking, but it’s not an issue with me.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are called nut clips.

You will find some on the Summit racing site made by Doorman products, and that means you could go to the Doorman site itself.

You will find them on the McMaster Carr product site and other car fastener suppliers sites.

Auto parts stores here in the US carry some sizes, so maybe you can find a close enough metric size in a local parts store and just go with new metric bolts.

One consideration about these the replacements is the length of the clip before the rap around bend.

Sometimes the lenght can be too long and then when you have the bolt holes centered as needed you find that you can't load the shock in, ask me sometime how I grew my vocabulary of curse words one weekend when at 10 pm I found that I had a new issue. Lol!

Some types are made for sheet metal bolts with there course thread and these would work for a while, but you want to try and stay away from them unless there your only hope!

Last edited by 25stevem; 08-05-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup...McMaster-Carr has a pretty good selection of them.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-06-2022, 05:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t suppose anyone ever ordered any that definitely fit and can find in their email what actual item they ordered?

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
Old 08-06-2022, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our sponsor of this site has a shock mounting kit with what you need.
It’s part number S 305, it does both sides and cost 15 bucks .
This part number is out of there A body catalog, but I cant see why the F body kit would be any different!

Old 08-06-2022, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

glad i read this 1 I happen to be in need of several U-nuts as well for the inner fenders.....forgot about Mcmaster..... perfect!

Old 08-06-2022, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Usapartssupply.com is another good source for things like this.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs#116 View Post
I don’t suppose anyone ever ordered any that definitely fit and can find in their email what actual item they ordered?

Sam
if you dont have any luck finding new ones, i should have some originals you can have... but will require some digging in my bolt buckets if youre not in a huge hurry.