Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-21-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Scatter-shield question

I’m slowly assembling the parts to put a 428 in my 1970 TA as a temporary replacement while the original RA III gets a 4” stroker build. I stumbled across some threads about scatter-shields and was wondering if this is something I should add to the list?

This car will is not a street/strip car by any stretch, but that’s not to say I would never want to take a trip down the old 1320 every once in a while. Probably much more likely while the 428 sits in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-21-2022, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should point out that I would be running an SFI steel flywheel on the 428. And would go the same route when the 400 stroker is assembled. Not sure if that makes a difference in the flywheel decision.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes definitely. I run QuickTime

Old 08-21-2022, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks 64!
I’m assuming (hopeful) that running a scatter-shield won’t require any modifications to the tans tunnel?

Old 08-21-2022, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

Any reasonable safety improvement is never a bad idea.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't mind the look, a safety bellhousing is a nice upgrade. If you have any plans to put slicks on the car and try to hook it hard at the drag strip, I would highly recommend it. I decided to install one on my 62 Catalina street car just for the extra safety it offers. Not planning to race it, but it has 6500+ rpm potential. Having a steel housing vs a light aluminum casting to contain a clutch explosion just seemed like a good idea to me. They are expensive new. Around $700.00. Members are often selling them for around $300.00 in the Performance parts for sale area. That's where my really nice one came from. A steel flywheel is also a nice upgrade.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Yes definitely. I run QuickTime
X2 on QuickTime!

1966 GTO Post Coupe, 467ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 11.6 118mph
1966 GTO Post Coupe, "The Bright Idea" 535ci. N/A Pump gas, best 1/4 9.58 141mph
Old 08-22-2022, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OP posted in the street section and most Pontiac street engines rarely hit 6500 and do not see a whole lot of miles.

IMO, if you are using and SFI approved flywheel and SFI clutch with the appropriate hardware properly installed, there is virtually no risk of a clutch explosion. Certainly no more than a fuel leak and fire and I know everyone isn't running around will a full fire suppression system in their car. It's about risk management. If you are tracking the car or taking it to the strip with 7,000 RPM potential, the equation changes.

That said, my C6 Z06 can do all of that and it's rare to see a Z06 owner with a scatter shield of any kind.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Quick Time is a lot nicer looking and a little less bulky then the Lakewood.

Using SFI flywheel and clutch to "prevent" an explosion is a good first start . Better than non SFI and just using a scattershield to contain it. After seeing a couple over the years any stick of mine other than a new car will have one.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-22-2022, 04:55 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
OP posted in the street section and most Pontiac street engines rarely hit 6500 and do not see a whole lot of miles.

IMO, if you are using and steel STEEL with the appropriate hardware properly installed, there is virtually no risk of a clutch explosion. If you are tracking the car or taking it to the strip with 7,000 RPM potential, the equation changes.
Our Mule Vehicle: 4.6L 4 Valve 6 speed manual trans routinely was shifted at 8000 on the street, and a lot of the high rpm shifts were caused by the people not being prepared for the rapid rpm increase of the engine.

Others did not have a clue how to shift, and missed gears, rode the clutch, etc.

We were replacing the steel flywheel and clutch system around every 6 months do to heat stress cracks in the STEEL flywheel.
If you are changing the flywheel you might as well change the clutch parts at the same time.

The car did not have a scatter-shield on the car.

Common sense said rather than pay for very high medical bills (someone hurt) due to a issue, we changed the parts.
So I provided an example that differed from your opinion. Nothing wrong with your opinion.

A Steel Flywheel and good clutch system installed in a PONTIAC vehicle could still have issues over time, depending on the driver and the abuse the parts saw. Blanket Statements rarely fit all conditions.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-23-2022, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyone aware that Lakewood was purchased by Quicktime? The new Lakewood is something like seven pounds lighter than the old one and uses a new manufacturing technique. I purchased my old Lakewood unit in 1985 and it falls into the blacksmith manufacturing standards and it took quite a bit of finagling to get the runout in speck for the Tremec trans. There isn't much price difference between a new Lakewood and a new Quicktime so my friend went with the somewhat more expensive Quicktime and it was really a bolt-in install and was close enough to run.

I pulled and rebuilt an engine and the stock aluminum bellhousing had multiple cracks in it that pushed up material around the crack but didn't break loose. I asked him about it and he said he had the lining come off the disk but the steal disk remained intact. Now if just lining can puncture the stock housing, I really don't want to see what would remain of the housing if even just the clutch disk came apart.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate all the feedback. On a quasi related note, I just picked up my flywheel from a local transmission shop. Even though it was low-mileage, I wanted to make sure there was a nice surface for the new clutch. Cost was $75. I don’t know why, but that just seems like a lot to me, unless skimming the flywheel is more labor intensive than the old days of turning rotors on a lathe. I must be getting old.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:30 PM
Senior Chief

I’ve paid $60 to have a billet flywheel blanchard ground locally (a couple years ago) so $75 isn’t out of line. They are so hard that the cutting stone wear is probably factored in.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
Appreciate all the feedback. On a quasi related note, I just picked up my flywheel from a local transmission shop. Even though it was low-mileage, I wanted to make sure there was a nice surface for the new clutch. Cost was $75. I don’t know why, but that just seems like a lot to me, unless skimming the flywheel is more labor intensive than the old days of turning rotors on a lathe. I must be getting old....Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$75 on the East Coast, sounds like a sign of the times. Everything seems to be going up. Count yourself blessed, prob could burn up another $20 in fuel finding & driving to the one hole in the wall that would surface it for $50-60.

Old 08-23-2022, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Everyone aware that Lakewood was purchased by Quicktime? The new Lakewood is something like seven pounds lighter than the old one and uses a new manufacturing technique. I purchased my old Lakewood unit in 1985 and it falls into the blacksmith manufacturing standards and it took quite a bit of finagling to get the runout in speck for the Tremec trans. There isn't much price difference between a new Lakewood and a new Quicktime so my friend went with the somewhat more expensive Quicktime and it was really a bolt-in install and was close enough to run.

I pulled and rebuilt an engine and the stock aluminum bellhousing had multiple cracks in it that pushed up material around the crack but didn't break loose. I asked him about it and he said he had the lining come off the disk but the steal disk remained intact. Now if just lining can puncture the stock housing, I really don't want to see what would remain of the housing if even just the clutch disk came apart.
Thanks, did not know of the sale. The new price of a QuickTime is quite eye opening, I remember the price of when they were first introduced.

Old 08-24-2022, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Lakewood is older and heavy and bulky as heck!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-24-2022, 06:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
My Lakewood is older and heavy and bulky as heck!
So are Fighting TANKS vs bicycles.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my Lakewood bellhousing from a member on the forum. It is heavy and red in color. I painted it black. Mine took .014" offset dowel pins to get the TIR within .004. That is the middle of the typical range for pins. .007, .014. .021 are typical. I used the Rob Mc offset pins for the first time. Very nice and easy to use. They have a set screw to lock them into place when your all set. The ancient hydroforming equipment used by Mr. Gasket/Lakewood was from the early 1950's. Crude, but effective.

Old 08-25-2022, 06:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I purchased my Lakewood from another board member 2010-ish.
Also used the RobMc dowel pins, the .014's I believe.
It took less than a half hour to dial it in within .0005!
The face was parallel to the block within .0010!

I had to cut a notch in the lower left corner to be able to remove the Canton road race oil pan's drain plug though. I'm glad I caught that before having to do it while installed in the LeMans!

The 462 is around 550-600 hp. Installing a TKX and using an aluminum flywheel, so in my situation, it's well worth the time to keep the legs attached to the torso!
Even if I didn't have the old Lakewood, I'd still shell out the $ for a new Quicktime or Lakewood.......although I'm really glad I had this Lakewood and didn't have to shell out the $800+ for a new one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	597158   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1144.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	597159   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_1147.jpg
Views:	72