The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 06-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Howdy,
I just discovered a water stain on the interior valence where the headliner meets the door frame and the upper right corner of the windshield-passenger side. These past couple of weeks of torrential rain here in S. Florida is probably the reason it surfaced now.

Can't really tell if it came in thru the windshield or a tiny rust spot on the inside of the drip rail an inch or so from the windshield on the passenger side.

The moldings and drip rails are off because the roof was just painted after removing the vinyl top. Obviously the guy didn't catch this which I'm not happy about, but that's in the past.

I'd appreciate suggestions on fixing this right before it becomes major. I'd like to know the best procedures for finding any problems/rust in these areas/repairing them/preventing them in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Bob G.
"there's never time to do it right but there's always time to do it over"

Old 06-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Howdy,
I just discovered a water stain on the interior valence where the headliner meets the door frame and the upper right corner of the windshield-passenger side. These past couple of weeks of torrential rain here in S. Florida is probably the reason it surfaced now.

Can't really tell if it came in thru the windshield or a tiny rust spot on the inside of the drip rail an inch or so from the windshield on the passenger side.

The moldings and drip rails are off because the roof was just painted after removing the vinyl top. Obviously the guy didn't catch this which I'm not happy about, but that's in the past.

I'd appreciate suggestions on fixing this right before it becomes major. I'd like to know the best procedures for finding any problems/rust in these areas/repairing them/preventing them in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Bob G.
"there's never time to do it right but there's always time to do it over"

Old 06-28-2002, 11:37 AM

sit in the car with the doors closed and windows up. then have somebody use a garden hose and spray a small area at a time and see if you can spot it. mine never leaked at the headliner, but there were plenty of small perforations under the windshield moldings that i had repaired. no more problems. rear window is next.

Old 06-28-2002, 08:50 PM

One simple way we use to detect a problem in the windshield seal is to remove windshield molding - spray a section on the outer edge of the windshield with foaming glass cleaner or a soapy water mix - get an air hose and spray compressed air on the inside winshield edge where you have placed the foam. If the seal is bad, the compressed air should displace the foam on the outside.

Ross

[ June 28, 2002, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: RossGN ]

71 "In Violet" 340 Duster
Old 06-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. Since posting I've talked to my mechanic who owns 14 classic cars of which 2 are 100 pointers ('57 Chevy & '34 Chevy-both convertibles). I'm going to pull the glass, front & rear and the headliner, clean everything up, repair any problems, and reinstall using modern materials. What can I tell you, I don't want to worry about this anymore, I want to know it's done [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help. Have a good one.

Bob G.