67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:16 PM

Default Oil pump shaft

So I put the oil pump on. Bolted up the oil pan. And decided to try and install the distributor for fun. And for the life of me can not get the oil pump shaft to engage on the oil pump. It just won’t seat on the pump with the pin and two flats. I thought maybe a burr. So light filing. No luck. So I noticed there are two tabs crushed into the shaft about 3/4 way up. So I am praying that this shaft doesn’t get installed from the bottom ? I suppose these are factory tabs so the shaft can never be pulled up ? If so I guess dropping the pan. Argggh

Old 03-23-2024, 01:29 PM

You’re supposed to install it from the bottom. Prayers won’t be answered in this instance.

Grinding off the tabs to install it from the top is not uncommon but many don’t recommend it.

Dropping it down from the top sometimes ends up with the shaft getting lost somewhere in the crankcase.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaszek View Post
So I put the oil pump on. Bolted up the oil pan. And decided to try and install the distributor for fun. And for the life of me can not get the oil pump shaft to engage on the oil pump. It just won’t seat on the pump with the pin and two flats. I thought maybe a burr. So light filing. No luck. So I noticed there are two tabs crushed into the shaft about 3/4 way up. So I am praying that this shaft doesn’t get installed from the bottom ? I suppose these are factory tabs so the shaft can never be pulled up ? If so I guess dropping the pan. Argggh
You're correct about the tabs. There are pros and cons as to how to proceed from here.

Remove the oil pan and install shaft.

Grind off tabs and smooth area and install shaft

Old 03-23-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You’re supposed to install it from the bottom.

Grinding off the tabs to install it from the top is not uncommon but many don’t recommend it.

Dropping it down from the top sometimes ends up with the shaft getting lost somewhere in the crankcase.
Agree.....

I usually use a pair of hemostats to drop it in when doing it this way to avoid dropping it and to help guide it.

An issue can arise when you go to pull the distributor at a later date. Surface tension from the oil can cause the shaft to momentarily stick to the distributor as you're removing the distributor. Gravity takes over and then shaft falls down missing the oil pump into the crankcase.

Old 03-23-2024, 06:05 PM

Ok thanks guys. I’ll take pan off. I just spent time with the butler one piece gasket making it all perfect. Oh well. The distributor is my weakness so I know it’ll be in and out a few times. Live and learn.