WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:24 PM

I had a puddle under the front of my 04 gto. I took it down to the pontiac shop and they ended up replacing the front pump seal.This car has only 1100 miles, can this be cause by not driving it enough,can it hurt a car by not driving it much,and will I continue to have problems with seals.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:24 PM

I had a puddle under the front of my 04 gto. I took it down to the pontiac shop and they ended up replacing the front pump seal.This car has only 1100 miles, can this be cause by not driving it enough,can it hurt a car by not driving it much,and will I continue to have problems with seals.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:56 PM

passnfast,
By letting the car sit, will not make that seal leak. The fact that the car is new, tells me there must have been a problem when it was assembled at the factory. The seal may have been cut or not pressed in all the way from the beginning. We had a lot of problems with the earlier 4L60 transmissions blowing out the front seals when the trans. got hot, but they fixed that problem long since. I'd have to say, if a reputable dealer repaired your car, you should be good to go and have no more problems with it. Ken
Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 AM

Letting a car sit for long periods of time (~ month at a time, many times) is hell on seals. When the car sits the seals see no lubrication and start to crack and deform. I have found that the worst thing to do to a car is let it sit for extended periods of time.

That being said, I would be suprised if this is the reason for your seal problem, as the car is very new.