Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Help CityDesk175!

I cant find it. It pulls up over 7,000 docs with "Rapture 2" in text.

Tried putting in: citydesk175 as first and last name, Neither will work.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 PM

http://www.footnote.com/image/171116435/
lets try as a link

=====================
There are 10 types of people in this world"
those who know binary and those who don't
========================
Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 AM

Default hope that helped

I went back to footnote and messed around
very powerful databases there
but theres a learning curve
see u later
citydesk175

=====================
========================
Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i love those old ads......... awsome!!!! ID LOVE TO REPOP THEM......

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:10 PM

What does "repop" mean?
maybe I can help
Regards
citydesk175

=====================
========================
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydesk175 View Post

What does "repop" mean?
maybe I can help
Regards
citydesk175
re create /copy them
btw,,nice entertaining thread
keep it up

Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

repop is short for REPRODUCE. i own a sign & graphics shop & i can repopp & enlarge just about anything.... i think old war posters would sell. Heck i want some

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

CITYDESK175,

Thanks for the link, much easier!

Wow...I bet you "stole" that gem. Very nice!

I saw one for $1500 for sale at brokerage house:

http://www.artbrokerage.com/art/kras...sky_15976.htm#

Bty, the site you linked is very complex, you are right about that!

The data base is amazing!

Looks like a good portal or start for "family tree" searchs.

Jeff

Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
CITYDESK175,
Thanks for the link, much easier!
Wow...I bet you "stole" that gem. Very nice!
I saw one for $1500 for sale at brokerage house:
http://www.artbrokerage.com/art/kras...sky_15976.htm#
Btw, the site you linked is very complex, you are right about that!
The data base is amazing!
Looks like a good portal or start for "family tree" searchs.
Jeff
I went into Sallies' and saw the framed print without a price. I recognized the print because I had seen works by the artist "Krasnyansky" on recent cruises where Park West has auctions. Since the work was a match in every way and framed too. I asked for a price and the store manager spent many minutes in a pricing huddle with her staff (actually just her) and she arrived at a safe price of $45.00. I said "Deal" and brought it home. My son helped me bring this 40x50 framed print in and we laid it on the kitchen island face down.

Our shipboard art auctioneers hang up art a couple of times per auction so that the attendees can only see the back of the frame. Then the auctioneer announces a "special " price that might be 60% of the listed starting price. The audience bids sight-unseen on these "polar bears in a snowstorm" and on average get the best deal of the auction. "Hold your number card up and everybody gets one."

At this point mywife arrived home and noticed this gigantic frame upside down in her kitchen. "What piece of "stuff" did you buy this time?" "Its a polar bear, go ahead and look at it." My son turned it over and she said: "We are going to find a place for that!"
And everyone was happy.
==============================
And I have to visit Footnote.com a lot more <S>

Regards
Citydesk175

=====================
========================
Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 AM

Default Management in the Old Days

I just spoke to a recently retired friend who had spent some of his formative years at Willow Run. He told me vignettes of longer GM stories from Willow Run. Many of them sounded like the type I had heard at Pontiac and I can assume the GM Culture is universal even in a red headed stepchild division liek Pontiac.

One of his stories ground on me personally because it was about a suggestion that went south. A machinist figured a way to do a cut that was fractions of a second faster and spread out over thousands of parts, really added into money. Somehow the guy's partner figured out how to put a very subtle flaw in his settings and produced a load of parts before they bounced and were traced back to his machine.

Meanwhile, our hero (you remember... the one with the IDEA) polished up his suggestion submission and took it to the Foreman who laugh in his face about it cause his partner had already used up every cent of the guy's savings estimatein the suggestion. "I don't wanna see either one of you for a long time so get out! So much for a great suggestion and 20 grand suggestion award.

===========================================

How else can you waste money in a subtle but very expensive way? My Uncle told me of a sheet metal cutter operator who was off on the dayhis boss wanted a dozen pieces 2 feet by 6 feet in a hurry. He had a millwright or somesuch operate the machine and every piece of metal when cut measured out at 22 inches by 6 feet. The boss went ballistic and the Millwright spent an hour looking the machine over to find out the fault.

Finally, the Millwright remembered he had used the other guy's metal yardstick (by Starret or Lufkin) instead of his own. Sure enough, the yardstick was 34 inches long with inches 1 and 2 chopped off very neatly. The enraged boss had the Millwright cut the yardstick into 2 inch pieces and took them to his desk.

The next day the guy was back and could not find his yardstick. He was told his boss had it. The boss got to ask the fatal question: "How long have you been adusting for the shortness of your yardstick?" "About 15 years." "You wont have to do that anymore" And the boss handed him all the pieces of his yardstick.

More to come soon

=====================
========================
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I just spoke to a recently retired friend who had spent some of his formative years at Willow Run. He told me vignettes of longer GM stories from Willow Run. Many of them sounded like the type I had heard at Pontiac and I can assume the GM Culture is universal even in a red headed stepchild division liek Pontiac.

One of his stories ground on me personally because it was about a suggestion that went south. A machinist figured a way to do a cut that was fractions of a second faster and spread out over thousands of parts, really added into money. Somehow the guy's partner figured out how to put a very subtle flaw in his settings and produced a load of parts before they bounced and were traced back to his machine.

Meanwhile, our hero (you remember... the one with the IDEA) polished up his suggestion submission and took it to the Foreman who laugh in his face about it cause his partner had already used up every cent of the guy's savings estimatein the suggestion. "I don't wanna see either one of you for a long time so get out! So much for a great suggestion and 20 grand suggestion award.

How else can you waste money in a subtle but very expensive way? My Uncle told me of a sheet metal cutter operator who was off on the dayhis boss wanted a dozen pieces 2 feet by 6 feet in a hurry. He had a millwright or somesuch operate the machine and every piece of metal when cut measured out at 22 inches by 6 feet. The boss went ballistic and the Millwright spent an hour looking the machine over to find out the fault.

Finally, the Millwright remembered he had used the other guy's metal yardstick (by Starret or Lufkin) instead of his own. Sure enough, the yardstick was 34 inches long with inches 1 and 2 chopped off very neatly. The enraged boss had the Millwright cut the yardstick into 2 inch pieces and took them to his desk.

The next day the guy was back and could not find his yardstick. He was told his boss had it. The boss got to ask the fatal question: "How long have you been adusting for the shortness of your yardstick?" "About 15 years." "You wont have to do that anymore" And the boss handed him all the pieces of his yardstick.

More to come soon
CD - do you mind if I copy these over to the "Foundry" thread as well?

BTW - one of the things that used to infuriate my dad is when someone else would use his "feeler" gages to set die clearances. Usually that would result in the ends of the feelers getting cut off. I still have a set of his gages and several of the thinner blades are neatly "trimmed"...

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM

Default My Suggestion Story

Years ago, the question came to mind: "How could GM identify customers who might be sympathetic to buying a new GM product and give them each a coupon to buy said product at the employee discount.......... and best of all, let someone else pay the postage to send each coupon out as well as address the envelope?

Once that question is formulated the answer and suggestion is easy: the Christmas card list for each employee is a gold mine of customers. Give the coupons to the employees with the request that they enclose one with each Christmas card.

I $ent in the $ugge$tion with vi$ion$ of $ugarplum$......."But the answer came back: We do not accept marketing suggestions"

The next year, a stack of coupons arrived on each employee's work station with the request that they be enclosed in each Christmas card sent that year.

Sigh...... My protests to management went for naught and I did mot get even one sugarplum.

regards
Citydesk175

=====================
========================
Old 01-28-2009, 10:16 PM

NEW IMAGE ALERT

I just harvested some new images from another forum and posted them in my new album in my profile.

It is worth a visit
Regards
citydesk175

=====================
========================
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The P 39 had a 37mm Pontiac cannon that shot through the propeller.
The vast majority of the planes went to Russia during WWII.
The Russians were famous for reverse engineering many things. The B 29, the Rolls Royce engines uses in the Mig 15.
Now I do not know that they copied the 37mm in the P39.
But the Russians still use a 37mm cannon today and it is a very effective weapon.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETJUDGE View Post
repop is short for REPRODUCE. i own a sign & graphics shop & i can repopp & enlarge just about anything.... i think old war posters would sell. Heck i want some
I think it would be THE coolest thing to have the Pontiac ones reproduced and mounted and INSTALLED in the new Pontiac museum .
What say you guys??

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

More to come soon
Sound like Union pranks to me, IMHO

Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Norman View Post
They didn't have a choice. The government was able to order GM (and everyone else) to stop civilian production and only produce wartime products. They also told the various companies what to build.

As the story goes, the government wanted GM to participate in the B-29 consortium. GM really didn't want to, arguing that they were already at 100% capacity with the other stuff they were making. GM got the bright idea that if they had a project that was just as important to the war effort as the B-29 maybe they could convince the government they shouldn't be in the B-29 program.

Enter the Fisher P-75 Eagle. (Body by Fisher)

After searching around a bit, they decided to build a fighter plane. Since GM didn't have a lot of experience building fighters, they decided that using existing parts would help. They took 2 Allison V-12s and mated them together, placed the engine behind the pilot (much like a P-39), and added counter-rotating propellers. They used the P-40 wings, F4U landing gear and an A-24 tail.

The resulting plane was a miserable failure and the program was canceled late 1944.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...et.asp?id=2221
This is very interesting. This plane could have been faster and addressed a few problems the Corsair had inherent in its design, like landing!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp's lemans sport View Post
What would happen if we ever needed that production capabilities again? Would we be able to convert Toyota's plants from building cars to miltary equipment?
X2!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Suspended

We have a foreign policy that keeps us out of war. Havent you noticed

Dont bet on the fact that it would have been faster. besides, you cant just bolt more engines together to make more speed. They cant even do that now. Thats why the jet was a quantum leap.

what problems did the corsair have in landing? Too powerfull an engine?

In basic training my m16 was made by hydramatic division

Last edited by Pontirag; 04-22-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Corsair, Cant see the deck your landing on and engine had so much Torque you had to kill it before landing to avoid flipping it down on one wing, or a tail spin and crash. Still kill it on a hooked landing.