WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Engine Tech

04-06 Engine Tech LS engine tech center. Get the most out of your car here.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine question

I have a chance to buy a 2005 GTO automatic for 2K. I have always wanted one. The bad news is the owner ran it low on oil and spun a bearing. The car is at a shop and the guy can't afford to fix it. The engine is apart and I took a good look at it. The crank needs to be replaced and maybe that one con rod. Is this crank anything special or does the 6.0 truck engine use the same crank? I figure for the price I can't go wrong?
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-16-2015, 12:25 AM
Suspended

No you can't. Buy it and fix it. I'm not sure about the crank. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 AM
Suspended

Buy a NEW Eagle crank Have the rods checked, all of them & have everything rebalanced with new bearings & all new gaskets including the head gaskets & make sure you have the block cleaned & flushed to get all of the junk out of it so there no metal shavings in it anywhere put it back together & you'll have a nice new engine. How many miles on it.?? If it has more them 50K on it make sure you do a valve job on it to. Depending on how much you have to pay for it & how much you have to play with you may just want to skip the valve job on those heads & see if you can find a set of 191 alum. heads as they flow better & then do the valve job on them. Those heads will give you about an extra 40 or so HP. It just depends on how much you have to play with.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Suspended

The engine has a cast crank with undercut rolled fillets. My understanding is the 6.0 truck crank will work as long as it has the 24 tooth tone wheel. I'm going through the same issue with my 2005 now. I'll confirm once I have the engine a part.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:44 AM
Suspended

There is a difference in some truck cranks vs. auto cranks. You have to look at the flywheel flange to make sure it will work. The car cranks have the thin the flange, some of the truck cranks have a thicker flange (about 3/8"). I have a truck crank in my GTO now. It has the car flywheel flange thickness and works fine. The only other thing is the truck cranks are not gun drilled through the mains to improve bay to bay breathing.